1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who dominates the tree industry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ArboristSite, Apr 25, 2001.

1. ArboristSite

ArboristSite LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,
    I had a post on my site, http://www.Arboristsite.com, that says: "who dominates this industry?" Many guys who wrote back said it was the landscapers that get the majority of work but not the trees around electical wires or in tight areas. What my question to you is if the majority of lawnsite readers would be interested in trees also or doing the majority of tree work, why arent many of you interested? I have tons (not lawnsite tons, but more traffic than I expected after 3 months) of posts on arboristsite but not a lot of varience of people who answer the posts. Most of the people who answer are guys in the tree industry only. I have learned a lot from the threads on my site and hope to see you there. Chuck's (lawnsite owner) master plan is to dominate all fazes of the turf industry. I get new members from him and he from me. I would like to know the answer to the question, I had earlier. Who dominates the tree industry? And If it is the landscapers, what would you change about arboristsite so you would visit? If you want become a member and post your answer here: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=69 Thanks for supporting lawnsite and arboristsite, Darin
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if that is the kind of answer you are looking for, but I think they are pretty dominant in the tree industry.
  3. ArboristSite

Yes, I agree. Since this is true, I would think the majority of lawnsite members would be interested in Arboristsite also. Why isnt this the case. Most of my members are Homeowners and tree companies.
  4. The biggest tree companies in your area(everybody in the U.S.) will probaly be the company that has the Utility line clearing contract.

In Northern Califonia, it use to be Davey Tree for eons, then came a company, from I belive Wisconson called (forgive the spelling) Alspundah. They drive big orange trucks with self contained chippers or towing chippers. They came in and took away the Pacific Gas and Electic contract away from Davey Tree. Now Davey concertrates more on residentials than commercial jobs, at least from what I see driving around.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

davey, dominates the u.s and canada, their in almost every state.
  6. ArboristSite

I know of the large companies. Thats really not where I am trying to go with this. What I am saying is, if you look at the number of companies, as a whole, the majority of them that get the tree business seems to be landscape companies (not large jobs, just the majority of jobs). Obviously, the landscape business is of interest. You can barely post something on lawnsite and its answered. There are several posts that remain unanswered on http://www.arboristsite.com. Is it that its uninteresting to read. Or the normal landscaper has the knowledge to use a chainsaw and collect money and not know the correct answer to many of the posts. When I first started out as a landscaper I had no idea what pests and diseases lurked in trees. I just knew I was gonna get $500 bucks out of the deal. If this is the case, why wouldnt you want to read some of the posts to learn about them. That is what http://www.lawnsite.com and http://www.arboristsite.com is for, isnt it? To learn? I know quite a bit, not as much as I could, but I have researched a lot of the answers I gave myself. So I have learned a lot myself. I hope you get my question a little clearer now. Thanks guys!!!
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I am a member of arboristsite.com and unfortunately Im am not educated to answer posts that are on the forum. Like you said I am there to LEARN...and then add that service to my business...gusbuster (I won't even try spelling it nor even try pronouncing it) they are big here too...
  8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

OH.....I wish I had a dollar for every truck I've seen around here over the years !!!!! It would be ZTR's for everyone !!!!!! (I could afford it)
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"Or the normal landscaper has the knowledge to use a chainsaw and collect money and not know the correct answer to many of the posts. "

Probably sums it up.

In my state, you need an arborist license to do tree work (over 15') which requires both a written test and an in-field skills test i.e. climbing knots chainsaw use etc. Plus your landscape contractor license. Plus your pesticide license(different than turf). Plus your Home improvement license if necessary.

So, the small tree companies do the take-downs and pest control, the landscape co's do the small tree trimming and the re-planting. About the only free reign is, who removes the stump. lol
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i do tree work some myself. im self taught and believe me
    thats not the way to start doing tree work.
    im only here because it just wasnt my time.
    you need the basics of felling ,first cut, finish cut and how to leave a proper hinge etc. that is one thing i think thru real good before i start. i once had several tons of tree jump about 6-8 ft,no way i could have moved in time.
    i got lucky as it jumped beside me instead of on top of me.
    like i say,just wasnt my time. the aboriste sight can be a real help.