1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who edges the beds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 14, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how many of you guys edge beds as part of lawn maint? when i hired my new guy this spring, i was shocked to see that he edged the beds with the weedwacker on every lawn. i was like, "hold on there chico' . we dont do that. but, apparently the others he worked for did. do u guys? my rule is simple. we do not leave the lawn . as far as a "grasscut" is concerned. we will do anything they want, but its all extra
  2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

only time we do that is for commercial customers(which is in the bid) or for FULL service clients mowing,fertilizing,aeration,overseed,mulching all beds at a 3" depth,and a spring power edging.We will pull weeds for free if they purchase mulching ,edging,and pre-m application as a package.
  3. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

No we don't do that. Would be extra if we did. I did hire a guy one time who insisted on doing this though. Let him edge beds once in a while if we were caught-up. Customers loved it. These days I'm lucky if the guy will even pick-up the trimmer. :(
  4. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

so do ya charge by the hour for bed edgeing?
  5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I do it with every yard that I have, well about 90% of them anyways.
  6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Every time/ every lawn.

Edging the curbs gives it a sharp look, edging everything else is even sharper :) Doesnt take much time at all.
  7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Normally I do it every time, sometimes every other. Depends on how it's growing.
  8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My guys edge all beds with the trimmer weekly that are mulched and maintained. If you dont edge them with the trimmer on a regular basis they go to hell in no time.
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

edging the beds is faster for me than not edging the beds but still weedwhacking them. Hard to think pros don't do this when it gives a much better overall picture of ur company. Pat and I do it every time, every lawn.

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

everytime I mow I edge the beds...It makes the lawn look better..