Who else is doing yards Bi weekly now?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Sep 14, 2009.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I have pretty much switched everyone over to bi weekly mowings now. We havent had any rain for quite a while and most are dirt brown already! And this year was going so good? It really sucks to be at the mercy of the weather all the time! How can you run a business without knowing what you will be bringing in from month to month? Hopefully we get a wet fall, but I doubt it. It was good while it lasted though! I guess thats why this season has gone so fast, its already sept.?????

2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

We got so much rain this weekend - after very little rain this whole year - and have gone from wondering if we're going to be able to mow next week due to the drought to wondering if we're going to be able to mow the week after due to heigth of the grass... So in essence, we're going to be calling some two week customers and ask if they want an extra cut to keep their lawn looking good...

3. C.G.Y. Lawnmowing

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing LawnSite Member

Yea, some of my customers requested mowing every two weeks vs every week like I was doing them before. The grass just wasn't growing that much, but now with three days straight of nothing but good steady rain, I'm hoping the season will last a little longer for me now!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. scooterdayton

scooterdayton LawnSite Member
    from MN

yea weather sucks in our business. Even on a rain dates, then it messes with your whole schedual. Every week im switching clients all around going from once a week to bi weekly.
    This year up in wisconsin was really weird. Ive cut everybody steadly once a week, becasue of such a cold summer and all the dew in the morning, it has really helped the business.

as for a budget, welcome to owning your own business ey.
    gotta make money while you can and allways live within your means.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand why anyone would burn a lawn to a crisp in the first place...
    To me a brown lawn, is a dead lawn.
    Doesn't it ring a bell at some point?

Usually I slow down at the first signs of heat stress...
    Which is long before anything at all goes brown.

I always cut bi-weekly, with few exceptions, in the summer it goes to 3-4 weeks...

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

So far I'm still going full speed ahead on mowing. It's only growing at about 2/3 the rate it was before but it's still plenty enough to cut weekly.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Going to every other week this week...getting kinda dry and with the days getting shorter....so is the grass....Ive got a couple lawn renovations (overseeds) and fall fertilizer jobs and I think Im going to start them this week

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Still going weekly here. In a couple weeks a few yards will go to bi-weekly. Grass is still growing pretty good.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

It's growing non stop all season here. I haven't had to skip a single lawn all season.

10. cphillips0053

cphillips0053 LawnSite Member

A yard full of weeds always grows. Usually 2 or 3x the rate of the grass. You have to pick your battles around here. If you sell them a nice thick weed-free lawn, you don't get to mow it often. If they don't care about a nice yard, it grows like crazy.