Who else screwed up and didn't book work into dec?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Dec 18, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I feel like a idoit. It got to be 50 degrees out and i am not working. This is my 2nd year in business so i am still figuring stuff out. Last year we had snow on the ground by the first week of december. So this year, i figure ok i'll just book jobs untill the end of November.

Now i think we have had the warmest December in NJ in a long time. Last week a few days might of hit 60! And of course i have no work. The worse part was i met with a few clients to disucss work in late october when i was already booked to the end of november. I told them i didn't want to take on there projects this year since i couldn't get to it till december. And in december, it takes forever to do anything if its 35 degrees out. Takes forever for anything to dry if it rains and its stuff to clean the job up and reseed.

But when you tell people you can't do stuff till spring, they tend to hold off on making decesions. Oh well, i am learning. I'll plan alittle better next year!

One of the people i talked to in oct had the job done last week by another company. However, it wasn't done the way i speced it for them proabably ended up costing 1/2 as much as i priced out. But i wouldn't of done it the way they did.

You guys still working or what?

Matt

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

After the first week of November I tell people that we can do the work depending on the weather. If we get a signed contract with down payment and can't get the work done before the ground freezes they know that they are at the top of the list for spring. If they want their down payment back they get it provided we haven't special ordered any materials for the job. We were doing hardscape until the first snowfall the week after Thanksgiving. The only work we are doing now is the occasional tree spade job.

3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing a small wall and flagstone patio this week and next. we also still have some leaf cleanups for our maintenence customers. after next week though I will just be praying for snow! I already have stuff booked for March and into April so I just gotta figure a way to get through the winter if it ever comes.
    BTW, it's60 degrees here today!!!

4. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

I know all yall are up north. But I am still doing clean ups. It was 70* here in Memphis today.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Oh yeah, we're still working. I just keep booking and explain that we'll do the work if the weather permits.

Yes, inclement weather can slow things down and it effects margins, but we're still bringing in money, and keeping the guys working.

We started a waterfront wall today, even though water levels are still higher than they should be. We have two more waterfront walls to do, hopefully we get those in also. Potentially another walkway, and a little bit of lighting.

We do a little plowing, but I could care less if it snows.

here's what we were doing today. Hired the Hitachi to rip the old wall out -- took him about an hour. The rest is up to us.

Unfortunately, this is Allan Block :(

Should make Mike33 happy :)

P1010049.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010062.JPG

P1010063.JPG

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Nice looking job you've got go'n Mark.

As for the weather, I'm lov'n it. The leaves are off the trees and people realize they can see each other so they're wanting evergreens. Have a promising hardscape in the works and I'm booking the 2nd week in January already. Other companies in the area (big and small) are having a hard time but I don't really understand it. The work is out there, you've just got to go get it. So I say things are on the up and up!

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

In early october we sold 7 digits worth of work, all of it is at second homes so it makes it much easier when the clients are in warmer areas of the country this time of year. If we get held up because of weather we get held up but we always stage ourselves to keep plugging along when weather breaks. I don't know if you ever saw my "Winter work" thread from this past season??? http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=129824 Even when snow flies and guys are plowing we still maintain a large crew of masons working on interior projects or tented in areas outside.

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Atta boy, Mark:usflag:

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always shut down week before thanksgiving. This year we shut down went hunting for 3 weeks ( dont ask how that went ) I had 2 wall jobs come up so we jumped on them and working them now and will finish end of week. What really sucks i have a buddy cont. who just finished building a bank and asked me to hydo-seed it friday. I told him sure but i dont think it will germinate in 10 days. What a crazy dec. I have 3 new yards booked for spring but just dont have the balls to grade 200 ton of top soil in each yard and seed now like the customers think i should.
    Mike

10. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

We have work til March right now, and thats if the weather stays perfect, It would possiblly be june before we can take on more work. I need another crew badly (theres only 4 of us), but cant find a foreman that I would trust.

Hope everyones winter goes well.