Who else uses a web site?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by doubleedge, Apr 6, 2008.

1. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Anyone use a web site? I do, I dont know how useful it is tho :). www.doubleedgelawncare.com. Any ideas for improvment?

*Note* The whole silver and gold package thing is just a space filler :)
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

The very first questions before investing one minute of time or penny: Why do I need a web site? What am I going to accomplish with a web site? How will a web site improve my business, what are the ways it will build my business, increase my revenue.

If you don't have solid answers for those questions, wondering about "using" a web site is meaningless.
  3. doubleedge

from ND

1. It is a free website.
    2. I have a lot of time on my hands, especially during winter (ND has snow).
    3. I already have gotten a few clients who have contacted me through my site.
    4. It looks more professional to have a .com website (Not .net or whatever).
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

#3 is the only one that has merit, and that is a good reason, to boost sales.

Taking that as your only criteria for having a website, then develop the site around that reason. What should the site do with regard to being an excellent sales tool? How can a potential customer find the website? What does a potential customer need to know that will prompt either an e-mail inquiry, or a phone call? What can be put on the website that will make my business distinct from everybody else trying to do the same work? What images or graphics will be useful in catching an eye for them to look further?

Just some quick thoughts to give consideration when building a site.

The site being free, or having no snow, is no reason to spend time and effort on such a project. The term "professional" arises again, but nobody has yet to define what it means for this industry. From one posting, having an impact gun to change blades was the criteria for being professional.

I wish you well in your plans for the website.
  5. jwillaford

jwillaford LawnSite Member

You have see you site as a part of your total marketing plan. I am relatively new to the green industry, but I have been around marketing for a while.

Your question is one of the recurring questions in the forums. So many landscapers haven't figured out who they are, who they are targeting, and how to strategically present themselves to that target. Websites for websites sake are not smart. However, I would say the same thing about direct mail and promotional products and door hangers as well.
    • The first step is know who you are as a company.
    • The second is know who your target is.
    • The third is present is to the target in a way they are going to listen.
    • Do it well. [Sort of a pet peeve of mine. My opinion: spend a little money to make it look good. As a consumer, I typically don't trust companies that look shabby. It makes me think other things are shabby.]
  6. chrisludwig

chrisludwig LawnSite Member

jwillaford is correct. You dont want something that looks shabby. And there are some cost effective, easy to use website builders out there that you can do yourself.

There are alot of people who search for businesses online these days instead of using the yellow pages. I would not want to miss out on the opportunity.

I would incorporate the website into your marketing "toolbox" but first you do like jwillaford said: figure out 1. Who you or your company are. And 2. Who is your ideal customer/ target market. Then you start to decide what "tools" (direct mail, ads, door hangers, website, yellow pages, radio, referral programs, promotions, vehicle graphics...) fit in your marketing plan to target these ideal customers.

All of your marketing tools should work synergistically - their overall impact is greater than their individual contributions. So I would add the website to every other marketing piece that I use such as brochures, on vehicles, on invoices, on envelopes and business cards, etc...
    The most important thing is to for you and your company name to be in front of your ideal customer when they need your services, so they think of you and not your competition. A website can certainly help you do this if you market it correctly.

Good luck,
  7. doubleedge

from ND

Thanks for the suggestions, but how do you like it? Is it good, bad, or just soso?
  8. chrisludwig

chrisludwig LawnSite Member

I like the website. Short and sweet.

I will add my two cents though on the content.
    I would remove the wording about low prices. People automatically assume low price with poor quality. "Fair pricing" or "reasonable pricing" is better. People are willing to pay as long as they get what they want. Low pricing is for people who cant really afford to pay you in the first place and want you to chase them for a check.

I would change the wording about the new business and three of you cutting grass a long time to - (add up the amount of years each of you has been mowing = total years) - so if each guy has been mowing 3 years you write "Double edge lawncare has 9 years of experience in lawn maintenance..."
    I would remove the part about the three of you cut in half the time of your competitors- this is good news for you so you can do more lawns and make more $, but as a homeowner I would not care how fast you do it, as long as it is professional looking when you are done and it is done before the weekend.

On a branding note, I like the vertical orange and white stripe at the top of the website. If that stripe was on all of your vehicles and marketing it would build your brand in your area. Like on the back 1/3 of the truck bed. People would see that from far away and automatically know who you were.

Also, have a few of your best customers write a testimonial for you about how good you guys are. Have them sign a waiver allowing you to use it on your marketing material. And put it on your home page of your website, back of business cards, etc...
  9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Too much text, not enough pictures. Think "Visual hook". I would replace the text in your upper box with a logo of some kind. You can even create one free online many places. I can barely even make out what the picture is next to it. Replace that with the after picture of what you want to sell most in your business.

Consider a name change. Yes no one wants to hear this one. Also....ALWAYS check spelling. Use dictionary.com if needed.

Example: Complimentary

But guess what? At least you DID it! Keep going, make changes and never give up. I wish you well.
  10. doubleedge

from ND

Thank you for all the advice! I will be trying to get some before and after pictures, and will attempt to secure a logo. I have made many of the changes you have suggested.