Who feels empowered this season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, Mar 26, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

After the long winter break, who feels that they have become a better LCO?
    By this, I am asking, who has done their due diligence in becoming better at what they do?

kc

2. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I wish I could say that...I started in the fall last year and did about 15 cleanups. I need to figure out a plan, and get more business. Talk to me next year...Im hoping I feel better then

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I feel real cocky this year. Im going to try to do even better work and be on time like clock work. However, Im not taking any crap either, a complaining whining client is gone real fast.

4. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear that. Enough is enough with those cheap a**, want something for nothing customers. They know how to play the game but they will not play that game with me. Next.

kc

5. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm feeling pretty pretty good about this year. I finally feel like I've got it all together. I've got a job working on the weekends on an egg farm. I work in the factory, so I don't have to do the nasty work. I've been averaging around 20 hours between just saturday and sunday. Its $8.00 per hour, so the money is pretty good also, atleast sompared to the other jobs out there for me. As, far as mowing goes, I have only 18 accounts this season, so it should be pretty laid back. I just want to take great care of my customers, and advertise like crazy winter and spring next year.

I've lost and given up a few accounts and added a few, but I'm making more money and working smarter. Here's how this year is looking.

18 ACCOUNTS X 4 CUTS PER MONTH = $1420.00
    $1420.00 X 6.5 MONTHS = $9230.00

WEAVER BROTHER'S EGG FARM - $450.00 MONTHLY AFTER TAXES(VARIES, AROUND $560.00 NOW)

EXPENSES
    -------------------------------------------------------
    TRUCK PAYMENT - $152.16/MONTHLY
    CELL PHONE - $47.00/MONTHLY
    ZTR MOWER - $79.99/MONTHLY
    CAR INSURANCE - $848.00 FOR 6 MONTHS
    BUSINESS CLASS INSURANCE - $180.00 FOR 6 MONTHS
    TRIALER INSURANCE - $25.00 FOR SIX MONTHS
    CONTRACTOR'S INSURANCE 500K - $303.00 FO 1 YEAR
    -------------------------------------------------------
    YEARLY EXPENSES - $5758.80

PROJECTED WEAVER BROTHER'S INCOME AFTER TAXES - $5400.00
    + $9230.00
    -----------
    $14720.00
    -$5758.80
    -----------
    $8961.20

I'm showing a net earnings of $8961.00 given I can write off all my taxes. I still have other expenses like gas, blade sharpening, oil, etc. I already have a 48-Pack of oil for my 2-Cycle stuff. I figure I can make some money from snow and some type of clean-up work. It would be nice if I could buy a bagger in the fall and recoup the money from it picking up leaves. I wanted to pay off my truck and get an F-250, but I'm thinking F-350 dump now. What kind ouf mileage do you all actually get with you big trucks.

There you have it, I just wonted do work out the math. If you disagree with some of my pricing, I can only raise a price so much and not start loosing customers. I'm not in the positions where I can lose any accounts, maybe next year. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks
    -Nick Howard

6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Im feeling really good about this year. I sarted a month earlier this year talking with with commercial clients and it really paid off. Gained 33 new properties off 4 property management companies which alone will double my gross monthly sales from last year. Hoping to pick up 30-40 new residentials on top of that, so we should be really busy this year. My wife is quit her dead end job and will working the office, really pumped about that I hated coming home from a long day and then having put in a few more hours staring at a computer screen. We are accepting credit cards this year through paypal, should help AR's. Best of all starting April 1st we have health ins.!! first time in 4 years.

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Howie- dont forget about your gas, state/fed tax expense. Good idea to throw in a projected monthly maintenace expense too, Plus 100 other hidden expenses that come up throughout the year.

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I feel very confident every new year, However I have learned more this past year and it shows this season so far. The types of clients we are picking up is a complete 180 from last year, so all is good so far.:waving:

9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine dragged me kicking and screaming out of my comfort zone this winter. I learned more and completed more projects and made some money. However I sure miss sleeping in and being lazy. Be carefull what you wish for.

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I added a Plugr Hydro, and a Stihl 110 edger, so have had more March work than ever, and am ready for a GREAT YEAR. I bought both items after reading lawnsite all winter!!! SO THANKS GUYS