Who flags lawn sprinkler heads?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Nov 5, 2002.

?

What is your policy?

1. I flag my own heads

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. I demand the homeowner flag heads

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. No set policy, either way

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Pretty simple question. When you have an aeration or any other job, who flags the heads? You or the homeowner, or no set policy.

Thanks
    MATT

2. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I provide flags for the homeowner at least a week in advance. With my luck I would miss one and damage it.........my fault. If they miss one......not my fault.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have the customer flag the heads.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

What he said for exactly the same reason. Although you must inform the customer in writing of possible damage for it to be a binding, legal agreement.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks!! The approach that demands that the customer flags the heads seems like the best way about it.

MATT

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

It is much better to flag yourself. Then if you do damage, you know it's your own fault. If the customer flagged heads last night, and you come to aerate today, will he really believe the head you hit was not flagged? (He was already gone to work when the school kids came by pulling up the flags, LOL.)

I flag heads right before I aerate, so I know they're all marked. Client pays for the time to flag heads; that's a lot cheaper than irrigation repairs. I tape measured all regular clients years ago, so I can locate heads even in spring before irrigation is turned on.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It is entirely impossible with bermuda and zoysia lawns to find all the heads. The small one are hid all over the place. My policy is: The homeowner MUST mark the sprinkler heads and valve boxes with the markers I provide. If I hit one its my fault. The plugr's are completely non-forgiving. It would shatter it if it hits one.

For example, we did a 4000sf seeding job last week. I left the flags. In that area were 43 heads that were marked. There was absolutely no way I would have found them all if I spent all day there.

8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, the easiest way to find and mark all of the heads is to manually turn the system on, zone by zone, from the main box (and any auxilary boxs) and mark them when they pop up. It is ok if the lawn gets a little wet prior to aerating ...
    You can do this and charge for the extra 15 min. to do it, although if you price the aeration job correctly by not giving this invaluable service away for a penny per sq.ft. or less, then that 15 minutes or so shouldn't make or break you on the whole job.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm,

Been mowing lawns since 1979. Never....EVER....came across an irrigated lawn. SURE, I've had to MOVE sprinklers....that are attached to HOSES!! :D

I have seen about 3 lawns that are irrigated in my local travels. Plus one CVS that went in that installed them. (They're lawn is new and crappy. Spend all that $$ on irrigation, yet nothing spent on proper seed and apps???)

Anyway. I guess irrigation is more prevelent in certain areas?

10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I don't DEMAND that they flag sprinklers. I heighly encourage it. I tell them chances are it will be o.k. and it usually is. Why be so extreme? Just mention that it helps reduce damage if you know where the liabilities are...

If walmart DEMANDED something of me I'd tell them to kma.