Who gets first priority?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, for fall clean up, who would you do first out of the two customers

Customer 1: Is a regular lawn maintenance customer, that only wants a one time clean up. She wants a discount for the fall clean up due to her limited income, her one time clean up price is $188, normally would be $216.

Customer 2: Is not a regular customer, but called up for a one time clean up of his property. No discounts, nothing, and his price is $288.

Which one would you service first, and why?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Lady #1 would not get a discount. If the price is supposed to be $216 then that's what she pays. If she wants to pay the required price then she would get her cleanup first since she is a regular customer. Customer #2 would get squeezed in when time was available.
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Weekly customer. Always.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If I was working in the area of #1's house, they would get done first. Unless I was in #2's area, in which case #2 would get done first. It's all about location :D

tiedeman, why don't you just make it $75 an hour? You get a few extra bucks and your prices won't look so strange payup :D
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

This scenario really doesn't work for us, here's why:

1.) All our regular maint. clients are full service. We would not be doing a one time cleanup, and they definitely would not get a discount.
    2.) "Fixed income" translates to "I don't want to pay you what your services are worth, I'll pay what I think you are worth to me"..Sorry, wrong answer, find another LCO
    3.) We schedule cleanups by areas. If the one time , uncontracted caller was in a neighboring area, I would throw them on the list for the day, regardless of what the cleanup cost was. Our regular clients take precedence over new calls, but if a new call is in the area we are in for the day,and we have time for them, they're on.
  6. tiedeman

from earth

The reason being, $72 an hour, $36 (30 mins), $18 (15 mins)

Just easier to work with. I bill by the quarter, basically 15 mins. So I first charge a minium fee no matter what, even if it only takes 40 mins, I still charge $72.

But lets say I do work for 1hr, 20mins, then I charge $72 for the hour, and $36 mins for the 30mins (I basically round up..most of the time). I mean if it is like 1hr 5 mins, then I only charge for an hour.

I have thought before of breaking it down in 1/8's. Just for a more accurate billing.
  7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can, do them both in one day. How many cleanups are you averaging per day? Do you have a helper with you? Like everyone else said I would base it on location. Personally, around here I base when I do my cleanups on this: the dump is open on friday and saturday, so the ones that don't need to have the leaves hauled away are in the beginning of the week and the rest are at the end so I can bring them to the dump on Fri. and Sat.
  8. tiedeman

from earth

I don't know if you guys remember from previous posts, but the only reason that I do this one time clean up for the lady is that I am afraid of losing her. She is right next door to two other customers. It's easy money
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd have too say I don't do "one-time" anything fore non-regular customers.... unless it may lead to a yearly contract ....

the reg. customer ....the lady .... whould be on the list fore the fall clean up ... but again .... don't do discounts on a "normal" bases

I could discount an orginal clean up bid of $300 down too $220 .... fore the 1st customer
  10. tiedeman

from earth

but what if you had a life and death chance of only picking one of them to do?