1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who gives away "little extras?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know alot of guys that do it, they swear if you don't, you will be gone soon enough. who gives away little extras? cmon, admit it, i know you're out there. little stuff like weeding a flower bed, spot spraying a few dandelions, first time edging of walkways that require shoveling chunks of earth, trimming a little shrub, pruning a ratty looking dogwood tree, taking away a pile of brush that the client left in a lawn, cutting up and taking away a huge fallen limb. well, who does tiny extras and doesn't charge? we won't bash you, i promise....
  2. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I do but only for customers that pay premium prices and pay on time. It will take me more than 10 min I will charge. I know its wrong but I get satisfaction out of just helping people that I think are good people.
  3. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Not I !! I seem to have them trained pretty well now. When they call with a request, they automatically tell me to just add it to there bill. Small chores like picking up a pile of branches,removing a dead 3 gallon shrub, planting a shrub they purchased, etc. ;we'll do it and just add $30.00 or so. If its bit more time consuming we'll give them an estimate first.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I do things like that every once n a while, Ill be going along blowing things off or something, see a few weeds in the sidewalk or beds that might stand out to me pull em out, one odd branch that hangs off the tree, take care of that, ya know I don't really mind, all my customers are very good to me(paying me all the time, offering drinks, etc) so I return the favor. This is not an everytime thing, but if its something like that Ill take care of it.

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope....In fact, I dont even give the curtousy of mowing over doggy **** any more....If i notice the pile of dog ****, rather than mow over it, i mow around it (LEAVE A BIG UNCUT SECTION, THEY NOTICE IT! AND THEN THEY NOTICE WHY IT WASNT CUT).

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I do, but only for those who arent pains. And if it gets to where they want this and that all the time, it ends.
  7. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

I rotate through my customer base and 1 customer each day gets some little extra. But then again I don't lose customers and I have a waiting list for those who would like a regular cut. My work is average but my service is outstanding.
  8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I do it a fair amount but only for the customers that
    A. Pay on time and have given me a good amount of work and $
    so far this season and will continue to do so.

B. The ones that are always trying to refer their friends and
    neighbors to me for work.

Any other customers especially the constant late payers dont get
    sh!t from me except for a weekly lawn service.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

the only thing that we have done in the past is take away small piles of branches/limbs if we have room in the truck. Other than that, we don't do extras for free. We are on a real tight schedule, and surprisingly our customers realize that we are there to cut their lawn, not do everything else under the sun for them.
  10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I often times find myself throwing in a little extra for the good customers. I don't mind making my day 20 or 30 minutes longer to please people and to show I am thankfull to have them as customers. I also know that I am way higher then a lot of my competition so these little things go a long way in the long run.