Who gives you advice on late fee verbage?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HighGrass, Feb 19, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Who gave you advice on what to print on the bottom of your invoices regarding late fees such as, "Payment due upon reciept. Payment over 30 days subject to 1.5% compounded daily...."

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

just sharing business ethics back and forth .but you have to be careful it depends where you are as to how much late fee you can charge .and for how long .

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I guess that's the way I should have worded it...I mean, would you go to a "tax" attorney, CPA,....?

4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

But if customer signs that they will pay a $39 late fee or whatever, then it should be legal. If the customer doesnt sign then you have to follow state laws. This is my understanding, I could be wrong.

5. CleanCutLawns

CleanCutLawns LawnSite Member

I sent out a letter a couple of months ago to all of my customers stating that a $15 late fee would apply if payment was not received by the 3rd of the month (all payments are due on the 1st of each month). Do I have any leagal standing to collect if they do not pay on time?

6. gqnine44

You may not be able to enforce it legally if $15 exceeds the state's limits on late fees but chances are your customers will either start paying on time or pay the late fee. Any customer who fights you on it probably isnt worth having.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I wouldn't think so..at least not without a signature.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

All these questions on whether or not this is legal, this should/shouldn't be, this states rules & regs, etc.

I handed my contract over to my attorney who added in all the necessary rules and regs, especially the part about the finance rates. As of '05 here in jersey its 1.5% per month or no more than 18% per year.

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You are wrong, in jersey they can sign up for a 5% late fee per month, but it is illegal and I could get in trouble for it...extent of the trouble, I don't know.

10. gqnine44

Jersey may be different but I know if I am even one day late paying my credit card bill no matter what the balance I am looking at a fee of at least $39. I agreed to this in all the fine print when I signed up for the card. The same with my cell phone, health insurance, ect.