1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who has a full time job and mows "on the side"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 6, 2006.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

And how the heck do ya handle it??? My accounts number in the upper teens and none take longer than an hour to do. I recently started a full time job workin 40 hrs a week, 7 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday and I can't handle all my lawns. I'd rather be mowing than working there but I just don't have enough accounts right now and I have bills that need to be paid and need winter income as well. I can get through the rest of the mowing season this year and probably scrap by in fall with leaves with lots of help but I'm not sure how i can handle my plowing and next year if i could triple the number of accounts i have i would quit that job in a heartbeat. only been there a week and already can't take being inside a building. its not bad work i don't break a sweat but i do get dirty which i'm accustomed to, but my hearts just not in it. This spring and last winter i worked part time at an auto parts store and that worked ok but the constant standing was hard on my flat feet and it was cutting into my business time so i quit that job. but they would work with me on hours and that was nice. This is a good job i'm at now, all the benefits, health insurance, job security (all our work is government contracts if that tells you anything) like i said i don't break a sweat and don't break my back, the pay is decent, really a good job and good career potential, but my hearts just not in it... For now I have no choice but to stick with it through the winter but i don't know how i can handle the snow removal and keep my job there but i have to have the income. I don't want to lose my business but eliminating debts and keeping bills paid has to come first. If i can at least double my business this next spring i can probably quit that job but i'm so broke i can't afford advertising. If you can't tell i'm bad at managing money and my bad experience with Ferris cost me a few thousand dollars because I had to take a hit on the machien by selling it (too much downtime was costing me money and business, I actually lost a few accounts over it) then getting the Exmark was the best move i made but i lost money on the whole deal and still recouperating from that... I consolidated my trucks and got one real good one to do everything instead of having several older trucks, that was a good move too i feel. I sold off all equipment i didn't absolutely have to have, that was also a good move i feel, for the most part, but i've always been accustomed to giving my business 100% of my attention and now the new job is threatening my business..

So how do you guys do it? Sorry for the long post but its been a while since i checked in with ya'll i'm sure a few have been wondering where i've been...
    Please give me some advice how to handle a full time job and keep the business alive.
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I know at one time you thought about giving up on lawn care. I think you should continue at your job and wait till the Spring to hit lawn care full time. By then you can save some money and get financially able. If you need to hire someone to help you maintain your lawns do so. Great to have you back it will workout sometimes things just take time.
  3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

move to 2nd shift. work 4 10 hour days have fridays off

start work at 2 that gives you a good 5 hours of solid mowing in the morning.

save friday for a catch-up/relaxing day. save the weekends for family and cleaning equipment.

oh yeah and....it's nice too to go to work at the hottest part of the day to go sit in the air conditioning.:cool2:
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Our work only has that one shift, we only work dayshift only on weekdays.
  5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

get a different job then
  6. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Frankenscagmachines...how is it that you only have lawns in the teens, a "fulltime" job but have over 4600 posts? How long ya been mowing?
  7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I work the weekend shift Not enough tea in China for me to go back to the
    M-F day shift
    I work my reg job 2 /3rd shift Fri and Sat and 2nd shift Sun(been doing this shift for 6 years)
    That leaves me with M-Th to work with my neighbor and do my lawns
  8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

My full time job is 3:30 till midnight, 5 days a week. My lawn care business (40 properties) is from 9 am till 2:30 pm plus all day sat and 1 pm Sunday till I get done. So that averages about 60 to 80 hours a week. Approximately $10,000.00 a month solo. How do I do it? I'm 62 years old and divorced so I don't have anything better to do. Actually I like to work. I've been working this schedule for 9 years now. I'm already drawing retirement from the Navy, and will retire from Caterpiller in 2 more years. Then I will be full time Lawn Care from April to November and go sit on the beach somewhere from December to March. I will continue my Lawn Care business as long as I'm physically able. I have friends that are in their late 70s that are still mowing part time. (with Craftsman and John-Deere lawn tractors).
  9. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Bro, i'm in the same boat! I moved from Florida in late Feb. costing me about 10K total. I still had a house there, renting one here. I worked 3rd shift at Disney world and mowed every day after work for about 6-7 hours. All was well, so we thought. We had no family there and decided to move closer to L.A. where I have tons of relatives. Since being here, I've had all sorts of problems and I'm about at the end of my rope! I ain't got a pot to pi$$ in, or a window to throw it out of. NEVER GIVE UP! (But gosh da*n, A nice 2300.00 a month comm. acc't. would sure help!)
  10. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I teach and coach high school football. I have 20 accounts and average about 15 lawns a week. I mow a few during the week after practice and mow alot on sat's. Good money so I can't quit plus i love mowing. I'd quit coaching before I quit mowing. i love it.