1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who Has A Newer Gas Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cooperlandscaping, Jun 10, 2008.

1. cooperlandscaping

cooperlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NE ohio

I Am Looking At New Gas Dump Trucks. I Want To Know How They Proform And What Mpg You Are Getting. At The Most A 1ton Dump. I Am Leaning To Dodge, But I Get The A-plan On Fords So I Am Open.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

What will you be pulling, or are you talking empty? I have an older F450 with a big block 460. We can get about 10 empty, 8-9 pulling the 16' enclosed loaded down, and around 6.5 loaded with about 4 yards of dirt. I would look at buying used as a work truck loses value pretty quick.
  3. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a 2008 ext cab chev 1 ton last month. It has a flat bed that we converted to a dump. I haven't calculated the mileage yet.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If chevy still offers the 8.1 big block that equals out to 494 cubic inches of raw power. It is a beast of an engine.
  5. TrapperJohn

TrapperJohn LawnSite Member

Why a gas engine? Costs a fortune to operate a big gas truck these days.

My current 06 F350 with crew cab and dually rear gets around 15 in mixed city/hwy, and 20-21 at a steady 55, on the 6.0 diesel. The Triton engined F350's don't get near that, more like 10 town, 15 hwy. Diesel costs about 12% more than gas right now, but gets 25-30% better mileage.
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't say that diesel gets that much better than gas on all trucks. My 98 GMC diesel gets around 13-14 mpg for city/hwy driving and about 17mpg just hwy. Similar trucks to mine that run on gas get about the same as my truck. It really depends on the diesel engine make. A guy I know has an F-250 that gets about 16mpg for city/hwy.
  7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that gas mileage is something you'd worry about too much if your gonna buy a big dump truck. I'm not trying to be rude, but it wouldn't make much sense to me. If I was gonna buy a truck, I'd get the biggest and best one for the job. Let me know what you go with.
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Prostreet on this. Either the 8.1L or Fords 6.8L v-10 is a good engine. I would keep an eye for something used, great deals are out there!
  9. sunray237

sunray237 LawnSite Member

I have a 8.1 in my 2500hd and it's great with the allison trans.
    But I would agree, that if your going for a dump truck to pull loads go for the diesel and pass the fuel cost along.
  10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I once bought a one ton (K3500) GMC dump truck (10ftw/gooseneck hitch) It weight 2000 lbs more than my K3500 dually pickup. With the heavy bed, the payload was pretty slim.

2dr k3500 dually pickup 12,000gvw.....6700 lbs curb weight = 5300 lbs payload
    2dr k3500 dually dumper 12,000gvw.....8700 lbs curb weight = 3300 lbs
    2dr C4500 dually dumper 15,000gvw....,9700 lbs curb weight = 5300 lbs

The 15k gvw truck could easily haul 7500 lbs.

just realize that a 3500 w/ a steel dump bed has a very low capacity.

Duramax side sm.jpg