Who has a striping kit on there chopper?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bridges, Sep 21, 2001.

1. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

I'm looking to make a striping kit for my jd ztrac.

I saw the own on eric's site. So i'm thinking of making one like that.

I wanted to know, how many chain links are dragging on the ground and and what size chain?

Tony

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I did have them on my Choppers, but I took them off just to see how they would stripe without again. ;)

They use appox 7/16 chain and there are about 4 links dragging.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

got any before and after chain pics eric?

4. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

mdb,

There is a pic on elmsite.com. click on the link for striping.

Hey was there a different in striping?

Tony

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The top 17 pictures are without the striping kit, most of the ones below this are with a kit on.

If you will notice on the top 17, some you can see a dark line where the blades meet. It is cutting all the grass, but for some reason on some lawns it leaves these lines. With a kit on, these lines do not show up, so I probably will put the kits back on but I will wait until spring time now. I don't like the kits on when we mulch leaves. If you are backing up and blowing leaves off of driveways before we start mulching, the kit acts like a rake and makes a big pile behind the mower. :(

All and all, a stripe kit has its advantages and disadvantages.

Bridges, I counted the links that drag on a friends kit today and it has 5 links dragging. I think mine has 4 links dragging. The outside chains next to wheels you need a bit shorter so when your turning, the wheels won't run over the chains.