who has emplying telling u how to run your business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CamLand, Aug 16, 2003.

1. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an employee that always tell's me how to run my business,i.e. how to cut,how to trim,what equipment to buy. He has 3 years experience in the field.I can't say it's a problem cause input is good. but just drives me crazy. anybody else have this happening?

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

If he knows what hes talking about.. put him in charge. Good help is a blessing.

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

My guys are good at what they do. Operating a business is something else all together

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the guys that was supposed to help me on a big mulch job (40 yards) never showed up. Everyone else was there at 7:30 a.m. So, I leave the guys to put it out while I go mow. I come back at lunch time & they're making great progress. The guy I left in charge tells me the no-show stopped by the site at like 10:30 a.m. & tells them "yeah, well this is too much mulch for this job.........it will look like crap & besides he doesn't need three guys to do it." Then he left.

Unbelievable. I measured all the beds before I had the material delivered. It was the correct amount & the property now looks dynamite. It took a little longer to get the mulch out with one less guy but the client wasn't upset about it & the guys were happy to get paid more.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

camland. i know what u mean.
    next time ,,just politely [first time] tellim to get back to work please. if it happens again give him a gofer job for couple o days.u have the power,and your buisiness ,depends on u retaining control of your men.

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Honestly, I would explaint to him that everything and I mean everything is done my way. Since I write the checks and he doesn't if I want imput I will ask for it. Simple for me.

7. Yup

I also agree with parkwest, but where the line has to be drawn is the biggest question..

Last guy who pushed the line found himself in the unemployment line..

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, I do welcome all of my guy's suggestions and input...but I own the business, I make the final decisions and if you have a problem with that, don't let the door hit ya too hard on the way out.

GLAN is 100% correct. Doing and managing are opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to business.

Or as LGF stated, get out of line and you're gonna find yourself real quick like in the unemployment line.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Nobody knows everything no matter what your level of education.
    Listen and decide your own limits as to YOUR level of tolerance or need for information on a subject.But keep an open mind.
    Knowledge is a wonderful thing,Wisdom is knowing what to do with that knowledge.;)

10. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Telling you how to cut, how to trim, and what equipment to buy is not running a business. You hired him to do a job....was that job to be a mindless drone or does that job inlcude thinking of ways to improve the efficiency of the business..... If he is assuming a role that from what you imply indicates he is buying into your system it's a good thing. Now you can focus upon other things within your business.
    If you have no system that you are aware of then maybe you need to go back to the drawing board and devise a system and a plan of where your business is going.