1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who has experience with a swivel-wheeled sulky?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Sep 5, 2003.

Which sulky style is better?

1. Single wheel

1 vote(s)
  2. Double wheel

6 vote(s)
  3. Swivel Double wheel

11 vote(s)
  1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

What is your experience with the swivel-wheeled sulky? Mower sulky has one and I just wondered if they are better than the one wheel models.
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Try a Bullrider Castoring sulky. 2 Wheels plus they swivel. Great for a hydro walk-behind.
  3. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

FrankenScag built one, Then he caught all kinds of he11 from the usual suspects.
    Ahh the good ole days!!
    I have not used a castoring sulky, but I often wonder, as one of the rear wheels of my Junglewheels rolls up onto a flower bed or other "hard" obstacle, "what if that was a castoring sulky. Would it give?"
  4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any experience with any other kindbut I tried my bull rider in non-castor mode and couldn't belive the difference in how much room it took to turn around.
    The sulkys obviously extend the wheel base and so reduce manuverability some, but the benefit of having fresh(er) legs and feet at the end of the day is worth it.
    This is my first season with one, I got it so I could let an employee use my Walker (they are easier to drive) And it almost made me want to buy another walkbehind for more workers.
    Get it , you won't regret it.
  5. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

What Rick & Ax man said.

The Bullrider always keeps you in the best position for operating. IMHO. No reaching or twisting at all.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

We just didn't want "Wal-Mart" hunting down Eric and accuse him of stealing their carts for wheels to make his “Frankenvelky”. And, we wanted to make sure Eric didn’t throw on a set of “Meg-mo’s” and then try to say his velky was “self steering”, too.:p :p
    Finally, it "does" make you wonder when Eric hooks up with a guy like UL who is such a low life, that besides the insecurity of giving a false state he lives in, this Bozo has a program to hide his 'internet provider" address, so he can roam and disrupt the forums without the moderators being able to track him.

7. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

I have run a hydro with jungle wheels for 5 years. steped on a bullrider fixed wheel behind a belt drive an it would not urn at all. But my but does weigh about 300lbs. The owner said it worked great (125lbs soaking wet.)
  8. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Is your mower a hydro???
    The bullrider sulky from trimmer trap is great. It has been taking a steady beating of going on and off sidewalks(gets a little wedged sometimes) but other wise its great..All I need is to get wider tires for my viking and then I'll be set...
  9. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

We have Turf Rider swivel wheel sulkies for 2 Toro hydros. They allow for zero turn capability, but are difficult to back up on because the wheels have to rotate and with your weight standing directly on them, makes it awkward. It works best if you back at a slight right or left angle. If backing straight up, I usually step off. When running side to side on a slope, they will try to go down the hill on you. But, they turn on a dime.