Who has had both a 25 and 26 EFI Kohler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it really more power?
    Better fuel consumption?
    Better starting?

Do these have a choke or will they start and run at "turtle" like a fuel-injected automobile?

Ken

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run Walkers with the 25hp and 26EFI along with the Zmasters. The 26EFI is more like 30hp then 26 its got more torque and better fuel economy then our carbed 25's

3. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have Walkers with both the 25hp and the 26hp EFI engines. The 25 hp is a 1996 model and the 26 hp is a 2001. There is a noticeable difference in the performance between the two. The 26hp has more power. In fact I bought a speed-up kit for it when I got it. Have not put it on yet. Doesn't seem to need it .

The 26hp most definitely uses less fuel. About a third less than the 25hp. I was real surprised and pleased with this.

As far as starting, I have not noticed any difference. But with cold weather coming, who knows. They say that the 26hp is easier to start. And there is no choke.

Jim

4. It's a fuel injected engine. No choke

Big diff in responce times, for engine catching up to load.

Hp diff to, rated at 26 but actualy it's 28 hp.

Better engine, but my 25 hp will keep up with it.

It uses less fuel too....

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 26hp and have demoed a 25hp for the day. Both the same age. The 26 was by far the better performer. More torque
    and used a lot less fuel.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I had the 25 from hell which was a P.O.S. and I currently have the 26 EFI and I would definately buy a 26 again. I won't look at anything with a 25 hp.

The 26 as has been said has greater power, response time, cold or hot starts and fuel economy. The filter system on my 25 still used a paper and foam setup from Kohler. The 26 has the Donaldson system whic is the best I've seen.

I admit that the Kohler 25 was one of the troubled engines from the factory but I had nothing to do with any of those problems and it even took alot of convincing for me to give Kohler a second chance but the 26 is good.

If you get a 26 make sure that the fuel pump problem has been updated. Other than that it has been problem free for about 500 hours.

7. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

A little more info on this please. I have not read or heard of any problem with the fuel pump.

Jim

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The original Kohler 26EFI's (late 99-2000 models) had a fuel filter mesh that was too restrictive therefore the result was a burned out fuel pump.

The link will also enlighten you on some of Kohlers changes, this gent knows his stuff when it comes to Kohler I am sure if you have specific questions he would help;

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=22389&highlight=bulletins

Good Luck

9. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

The 26 EFI is hands down a better engine. More power, torque, and better performance.

25 Kohler Aegis might fill some voids. The idea is this new 25 Aegis engine will have the longer life of a deisel engine. Somewhere in the 3500 hr range. If it lives up to what is promised I might look at the 25's again.

Otherwise only 26's for me.

10. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently run several 25hp kohlers and I have run a efi and liked it very well!

Has anyone tested or tried the new 27hp kohler?