Who has/had both styles of hedge clippers?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Who has/had both styles of hedge clippers?

Both what I call the chainsaw type (regular) and the newer short-reach type w/string trimmer motor?
  2. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

I have both a Kawasaki regular double-sided hedge trimmer and the articulating hedge trimmer attachment that mounts on my string trimmer (also Kawasaki).

If you're gonna trim hedges, I think both are a must. Ya can't get to everything with a regular trimmer, and the attachment for the string trimmer is just to bulky for small shrubs. Together, you can do almost everything.
  3. Thistle

Thistle LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I have both and almost never touch the chainsaw style trimmer.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Well, remember Doc Pete?

Some time ago he sold me on the short-reach type and I went to get a set. But these are not like a regular stock item around here, so I picked up an echo book.

I then decided one of the split boom PAS units would be the way to go. To me, it looked like their fixed head hedger attachment would give me a short reach unit and I could also use the PAS power source to run other attachments.

So again I went to get one. As I remembered, they had the PAS units in stock. But they did not have the fixed head hedger... only the extended reach things. So again I would have to buy blind... and I was afraid it would be too long.

So I just passed on it and forgot about it until now.

Doc Pete was nice enough to share a nice pictorial of these in use and here it is.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, I think that both are best, I have the hedge trimmer head for my t 230 and then a 4 stroke shindaiwa set. I would be lost with out one or the other.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I understand that. At the time I was considering the PAS setup I figured I'd get the short fixed attachment and add the extened articulating set later if I decided to start taking the big hedge rows.

I mostly only trim small shrubs and stuff. I have a sub with the big extended Maruyama trimmers to do the big hedge rows and stuff. He does a good job on them for a fair price, so I let him do them for me and I still have some profit left to boot.

Anyways, particularly I have been looking at the RedMax units that I don't know anything about. The chainsaw type CHT 2200 seems OK and runs like $300. On the otherhand the LONG reach articulating LRTZ 2500 run about $575.

I was figuring the CHT 2200 would be OK for my uses for $300.
    But I was also thinking the SHORT reach SRTZ 2500 trimmers might be better.
    But if they are anywhere near the others at $575, that would be a bit much.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The long type is not a hedge trimmer, but a line trimmer with an edger attachment. As such it's not designed to be used exclusively thou it can and will run for extended periods of time.

Still, that thing is a lot heavier, I only use my pole trimmer when I need the reach, otherwise the hedge trimmers do well.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

The ones pictured here are the "short reach" versions though.
    Not as long as a trimmer, as the shaft is shorter.
    Not near as long as the extended reach or pole trimmers.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

You're a Stihl man now... almost forgot.
    They offer three lengths of these with the string trimmer engines.
    26", 42", and the full 59" shaft lengths.

Here is the 26" version (HL 45) but this is that Homescaper series. (like FS55)

10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello Envy , looked into stihl? I have the split boom type and there 4 easier to store on trailer, model i think is fs85 pro with hedger attachment .Is standard brushcuutter length .Stihl also sell dedicated hedger [fixed shaft] .
    Both of the pole hedgers have 0--90 degree adjustable heads .
    Only issue unlike some others is that the hedger blade will not fold back on it self for good storage but u can fix this . Just remove the limit stops very technical [2x cuts with grinder] .This is on the bracket .
    I also have a hand held hedger with swivel handel --great it is italian ole"o mac is the brand [going 4 years ].
    When u refer to chain saw type hedger is it a chain saw with hedger attatchment [eg stihl sell conversion kit ] or just the standard hand held type