Who has had their Quick 36 (or 44) serviced locally??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thefed, Feb 15, 2007.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm curious who has had to have their machine serviced locally? I'd love to snatch up one of their machines, but I'm nervous about not having ANY service centers. I like that they claim to work with the shops and all, but that doesn't sound like a recipe for quick turnaround IF something does go bad...

Just curious what anyone's experience is...

2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Bumping this thread.

3. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately I have had mine in the shop 3-4 times in the 16 months I have owned it. My local shop which is an Exmark dealer had no trouble working on it. Now fixing it is another matter.

4. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

If you don't mind, Armadillo, could you share with us what types of problems you've had? Thinking about the Q36 and was doing some scouting.

5. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

If you don't mind, Armadillo, could you share with us what types of problems you've had? Thinking about the Q36 and was doing some scouting. Forewarned is forearmed and all that jazz.

6. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

This must be an engine problem? Any shop that works on the engine you have should be able to fix it. If not try another place - I have another mower that was in the shop several times last year and seemed to get just quick-fixes and went to another place and they found the real problem.

7. Armadillolawncare

The problem I have started after I had owned it for about 6 months. It would refuse to start for some reason. I would be out mowing my accounts and everything would be fine. I would finish one account, trailer the mower and go to the next account. When I get to the next account it wouldn't start. It would turn over but wouldn't start. It was like it was flooded or something. I could find no pattern to why this would occur. When it happened my day was usually done. When I let the mower sit over night it would start just fine the next day. I contacted Better Outdoor Products and they suggested turning the fuel **** lever to the off position every time I trailered it to help prevent flooding. Now keep in mind this problem only occurred occasionally so anytime we thought we had a fix we would have to wait and use the mower for a while to see if it occurred again. I installed a fuel lever in a location easier to get to since the original is difficult to reach. Well after a few days of use it occurred again. I just lived with it for a while, then I had the fuel filter and something called the filter AC cartridge replaced. Hopefully this would take care of the problem. I began using the mower again. After a while the problem again occurred. As usual I would just live with the problem for a while since it occurred infrequently and would always start up again the next day. Finally I took it back in to the shop again. By this time I quit calling Better Outdoor Products as they would just suggest I take it in to my dealer. I last took it into the shop in December where we thought we had the problem resolved. The shop "found a wire connection to the fuel solenoid was flared causing loss of voltage to solenoid." I paid for that repair and took it home. That seemed to take care of the problem but because of the season I wasn't mowing much to see if it was really fixed. Then in January I went to start it up in my garage and it wouldn't start. It was not turning over strongly so I hooked up my battery charger to it as it was cold out and I thought the battery may need to be charged. My charger has a quick charge option on it and as soon as I did that it turned over right away and started. So I figured it must be the battery causing this problem. After letting the battery charge overnight on a trickle charge setting it did the same thing; turn over slowly and not start. I figured the battery was bad and went out and bought a new one. I fully charged the new one and installed it expecting that to cure the problem. Nope, still wouldn't turn over in the cold weather even with a new fully charged battery. Now I can't get it to start in the cold weather without hooking my charger up to the battery on the quick charge option to give it a boost of power. Lately we have had a run of real cold weather(for South Texas) and it won't start at all, even with the charger helping it. I don't know if this problem is also related to my original problem or what. But I do know that the problems I have had played a big part in me buying another commercial mower and relegating the Q36 to back up mode. I just quit my full time job to do the lawn care full time and I felt I couldn't rely on the Q36 to start all the time. I do hope to get these problems resolved but the warranty expired in October, Better Outdoor products was not able to accurately diagnose the problem over the phone the 2-4 times I spoke to them and now it doesn't seem to want to start in cold weather which I don't know if that is also related to the original problem. I never mentioned my problems on this website because as everyone has said before, the people at Better are very nice and I have hesitated to post anything negative that may cost them business. I still think they make a good product and I believe I may just have gotten the one in a thousand that has problems. I only have 136 hours over the 16 months of ownership. Well the temp is supposed to get up to 60 today so I'll see if I can get it started.

8. Armadillolawncare

Just tried to start the mower again. No luck, I had to put the charger on it and use the 50 amp quick charge to get it to start. 60 degrees out so its not the cold that is keeping it from starting.

9. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

So its the engines problem not the Quick. With all your problems i bet you could give it to your dealer and get a new engine on it. :confused: Sorry to hear all the problems, god luck.

10. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me you have an electrical and not fuel problem. Almost like grounding trouble. Did you ask this question on the repair forum?