Who has had tranmission failure on a 2005/2006 ZD-28

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Itsgottobegreen, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I would like to know how many people here who have bought a new Kubota ZD-21, ZD-25 or ZD-28 this year.:confused:

I have two units with a 146 and 151 hours purchased new this year. Both have now been at the dealer for 3 weeks. Both have had total transmission failure along with several other problems. I have had several people around here have the tranny problems. I would like to know how many other people that have had problems with their transmissions. I am attempting to get kubota to give me a full refund for the machines. They claim, not one person has asked for their money back. I can not believe two $11,000 machines have had a total transmissions failures with such low hours. All of the operators have been 18-25 year olds that grew up on farms running equipment, so both have been ran with great care.

Kubota has agreed to buy them back at the prorated price of $20 per hour. For a total of $5940 less than what I paid ($22,730 total). I only have paid $5192.24 on the loan so far. They expect me to write them a check $747.76 for them to take them back and cancel my loan. :nono: So I am getting screwed big time. Not to mention all the other money it has cost me because they have been down for three weeks. And know my luck they will probably mess with my credit too. :cry:

Anybody else think this is a little screwed up. Sad part is I own a lot of kubota or kubota powered equipment. And that they are screwing over hard core kubota fan.

This whole situation has been putting a huge strain on my company as the loaner machines we have been given have completely falling apart, so we have been renting two new Hustler mowers from another dealer for the last week. The rental fee is killing me. My stress level is so high. :realmad:
  2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Bet your wishing you would had kept some of them standers huh?
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

4. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

What happend there if you dont mind me asking?
  5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, i am seriously looking for a new/second hand diesel mower. There is a kub 28 pro with 800hrs at an average price in local dealer.After hearing of your probs i will pass it up.Others on this site have had tranny issues with kub ztr, contacted the L/s member and he explained story similar to you [he now owns a TORO diesel ztr} Kubota great engine but s**t tranny. The L/s member said it did not hold hills and thats where his probs started.It took WEEKS TO FIX .The dealer said it would cost approx 3000 us dollars if it was out of warranty NO THANKS WHERE ARE ALL THE GOOD COMPACT 60inch DIESELS WITH KUB 28?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????tomo
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about your problems man. Did Kub use a cheap hydro system? Surely they didnt on nice machines like those? How do you like the hustlers you have been renting so far? You may want to bite the bullet and get rid of those machines and go with something else.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Do a search. These Kubota trans. problems have been discussed here many times in the past few years. You can see who else was having troubles in those postings. The problems go back to the very first ZD machines sold, it is nothing new.
  8. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I have a ZD 25 and it has performed flawlessly. I was just wondering if you ever pulled anything or do you mow allot of hills.
  9. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Sorry to hear about your problems with the Kubota ZD's transmissions. I too am concerned for you . I purchased a Kubota ZD28 with the 4 year warranty just over a year ago and I must say it has run flawlessly so far. In view of its' history, I am very careful about the maintenance on this machine. Perhaps I assumed too much when Kubota bumped up the warranty on their machines. I usually do the maintenance at the set time or before it's due. I've also got a Kubota tractor L2650 which has run flawlessly also since the day I bought it, approx 12 – 15 years ago. Outside of normal maintenance (fluid changes and grease) it has cost me ONE battery. But, when I bought that tractor I was warned by the dealer that I did NOT want the automatic transmission (GST / HST) that there were problems. I believe Kubota is a decent company but I am afraid it's beginning to look like they are becoming Americanized, sorry to say. I hope, for your sake, and all other Kubota owners sakes that they fix and or make good to your satisfaction on your machines.

.... Good luck to you.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well friend... there were a TON of these defective units.
    It was discussed here quite a bit and I believe I explained it here before.

Here is the quick and dirty on it (as quick as I can make it)....

Inside those transaxles are what I call squish plates. These plates of course have to have perfect mating surfaces. But a bunch of these plates were improperly machined/finished. So when these plates wer installed in the transmissions, a short time after they were put into use, the either started doing really wierd stuff sporatically, which made the dealers think the customer was crazy... either that or they failed completely.

The root reason for syptoms and failure (as I understand it) is cavitation of the fluids beginning between these squish plates and building through the system. Eventually voids or pockets of air develop in the system, resulting in overheating, lack of fluid circulation and metal on metal contact.

It's important to note that this same cavitation will kill the pump and motor setups too.

Anyways, I've heard nothing but good about the situation once someone really skilled tore a unit down and identified the issue. Kubota got the issue under control and back to spec in the factory. Plus they of course covered the failures under warranty by rebuilding and in a lot of cases totally replacing the entire transaxle.

I can certainly understand your frustration in your dealer having them 3 weeks now. That's unacceptable for transaxle replacement. It shouldn't take that long to get them and switch them out.

I don't know why, but something has me guessing they are sitting on their thumbs on this one or attempting to rebuild the transaxles, which is complicated to do and do it right.

I don't know either way. But I see it like this. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about with future failures if they replace your transaxles. But at the same time, I can see your point about wanting your money back after being without them 3 weeks and all the headache involved.

The transaxle issue is their fault, their defect... not anything you have done wrong, and if you want your money back at this point with those low hours, I CERTAINLY FEEL IT IS THEIR BURDEN TO REFUND YOU THE FULL PURCHASE PRICE PLUS ANY ACCESSORIES PLUS TAXES AND FINANCE CHARGES IF APPLICABLE AT THIS POINT IN THE MACHINE'S LIFE. Matter of fact, with defects they have failed to remedy... it's pretty much the law in most places.

Frankly 146 and 151 hours on $22,730 worth of equipment is pretty comical.
    Why should you have to accept any more loss than what you have in the last 3 weeks?

I see it from both sides though.

However, when it comes right down to it, all they can ever hope to stick it to you for is the $5192.24 you have already paid since they are probably financed through Kubota credit. If you quit paying, there really aint crap they can do. They can report you to the credit bureau. But given the circumstances, you can dispute that and force it to be cleared off relatively easily. It might take paying an attorney a small fee to have it totally removed.