Who has missed cuts recently?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jun 12, 2004.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda pissed but what can I do.
    Rain like a SOB yesterday and I went to all customers ( big nice river properties) and said that I was not gonna mow. We had 2" of rain in 2 days.

So now I am going on not mowing these nice places for 8 to 13 days and the freakin grass is growing like mad. I'm sunk and its still wet.

If I would have mowed yesterday it would have been my last mow as they would all have fired me. I know I will recover and get them mowed but I am gonna take a good azzkikin in the process.

How many of you have had to skip cuts?
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have had to, the crew worked sat/sun last week, on to work today but big storm coming. Had a cook out planned for tomorrow, crew leader may miss it though.
    Put all 4 mower's in my enclosed trailer, hoping the rain will miss, hired a 3rd guy part time to get the jobs done.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most should realize that you can't mow if it is to wet. Keep in touch with the customer and let them know what is going on at all times. Make sure that they know that when it does stop raining that it might still be a day or two till you can get there. Most customers will wait if they know whats up but will be upset if it stops raining and they don't see or hear from you.
  4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

a few weeks ago i had to skip 3-4 of my weekly accounts due to the rain. i think i may have to do the same this week, we'll see how it goes today. i leave a message on my voicemail saying something along the lines of: "Hi, you have reached Garret at Expert Lawn Care, today is Saturday June 12th. Due to the amount of rain we have received in our area the past few days.......blah blah blah..."
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Same down here Ed. The crew did one account Thursday and then I pulled them off that. All you do in this weather is rut the lawns and make a big mess. We never even touched any Friday lawns either. It's just as wet today as well. We are SOOO behind with everything this year. We have lawn installs and landscape jobs that should have been started three weeks ago and it's just been a SOB with that beeeeatch mother nature this season. I was looking forward to an awesome season and it seems we will be spending half it trying to make up lost revenues for early season. I will certainly tell you that this spring has definitely tested my patience with this mowing BS. The month of May has literally, cost ME hundreds of dollars each week to mow. A 45 minute lawn takes 2 hours or more to make it look good. Cost of fuel and lack of patience is about to make me snap. Lawn mowing is a fricken' joke as it is, then to add the weather to it. We will do some serious reconsidering with any amount of mowing for next season. We can make more in one day landscaping than 2 1/2 to 3 days mowing, it's a joke. I keep trying to convince myself to have patience until July and August when we can finally make a dime mowing, but it's tough. I'd like to cancel it all right now. Fortunately, the businessman in me tells me to relax and have patience. Although I'd like to kick my own azz for that. :D
  6. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Sheboygan is wet also.
    I did get 5 accounts done today, drove by several more and walked over them to see how wet. When I can hear water, it's too wet.
    I've told them all that when it dries enough to mow, I'll know it down to 3 - 3 1/2 inches and then I'll be back 3-4 days later to knock it down to 2 1/2 - 3. They seem to understand.
    I have a kind of senile older gentleman that I mow on Thursday's, he was miffed that I didn't show.
    I apologized and told him I would make it up to him (it was raining 3 1/2 inches on Thursday!) He's one of my favorite customers and the cleaning lady always tells me how he brags about me to his neighbors, so I'll take a little guff from him.
    Keep your head up Randy. It could be worse... don't off-hand know how, but it could be.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just part time and I have a 3rd shift job. I could have mowed friday but decided to watch the Reagan funeral and then go to bed, figured I could mow on saturday. Rain on saturday so I'm behind. I don't care though, it was worth it.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

We've had our share of rain here too. I've been a couple of days late showing up but haven't skipped anyone. Last Fridays schedule was cut on Monday.. then cut again today and will be cut on their regular day next week.. IF it doesn't rain :(

I know you been doin' this a while ED but here's my .02 cents.. cut 'em nice and high (4-4.5 inches) and then show up again on their regular scheduled day.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I missed my ballfields a few weeks ago. Lots of rain and lousy drainage is a bad combination. Come saturday morning another LCO in town is bitching to parks & rec because the fields are long for his kid to play ball. Same guy that rutted the fields a few years back mowing them with a tractor.:rolleyes:
  10. turftammer

turftammer LawnSite Member

haven't skipped any they may be a day or 2 late but on the regular day next week but I had a real productive day today I got whopping 4 cut today inbetween the rain probably should have just stayed home