Lawn Care Forum banner

Who Has Mowed Steepest Hill on a Zero Turn Rider?

35K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  milkie62 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have large, potentially very lucrative account with a huge hill, I'd call it 100 ft across at its widest, and 200ft (including 15-20ft of flat at the top and bottom) top to bottom. I'd estimate the slope to be between 35-45 degrees. 2 man crew, with plenty of other areas to mow on this lawn, so one could take his time on the hill if necesary. I have a little experiance mowiong my hill with the tiger cub, comparable in size, but only 20-30 degrees.

Here are my options:

19 hp Scag Tiger Cub (48" deck)
72 inch deck Zero Turn Kubota
20" John Deer self propelled wb
(Or let the account go eslewhere)

I'll try to get pics up soon, but here are my requests:

1. By the numbers, would you even attempt it on one of the zero turn riders I have and which one?
2. Post pictures (and any good videos if they exist) of a ZT rider mowing the steepest hills out there.

Any pics, videos, or advice will be appreciated, but PLEASE DONT go out and video tape yourself rolling your rider down a hill that you shouldnt be. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
if the kubota is the older zd28 i would go that route, i loved those on hills, very stable but not i had trans issues due to mowing hills, so i guess maybe not,hmm

#3 ·
if the kubota is the older zd28 i would go that route, i loved those on hills, very stable but not i had trans issues due to mowing hills, so i guess maybe not,hmm
It is older, not positive which model (its not mine and its not in my garage)would you mow it straight up and down, across, or angled?

#4 ·
Hey everyone, I have large, potentially very lucrative account with a huge hill, I'd call it 100 ft across at its widest, and 200ft (including 15-20ft of flat at the top and bottom) top to bottom. I'd estimate the slope to be between 35-45 degrees. 2 man crew, with plenty of other areas to mow on this lawn, so one could take his time on the hill if necesary. I have a little experiance mowiong my hill with the tiger cub, comparable in size, but only 20-30 degrees.

Here are my options:

19 hp Scag Tiger Cub (48" deck)
72 inch deck Zero Turn Kubota
20" John Deer self propelled wb
(Or let the account go eslewhere)

I'll try to get pics up soon, but here are my requests:

1. By the numbers, would you even attempt it on one of the zero turn riders I have and which one?
2. Post pictures (and any good videos if they exist) of a ZT rider mowing the steepest hills out there.

Any pics, videos, or advice will be appreciated, but PLEASE DONT go out and video tape yourself rolling your rider down a hill that you shouldnt be. Thanks!
You need a good 52in wb with sulky. No way in hell I'm taking a ztr on a 40-45 degree slope. You're asking for trouble.

#5 ·
I mow a very steep hill, probably 30-40 degrees that is 300 foot long by about 75-100 feet up and down. I use my 60" diesel gravely to mow it. Take your time, and go up and down. Its hard on the hydro system, but I really have no other choice on a hill that size. The problem with the hill I do is that there is no landing on top, the hill ends with a chain link fence on top. I personally would still bid on the account, but take into account the extra time it will take you to mow the hill taking your time and price it accordingly.

#7 ·
I will have to get a picture of this hill next week to show yall. It is probably a good 40 degree slope and 400+ feet long. The hill slopes is around 50-60 feet down to a pond. I am the only one that has been able to mow it because of the slope and it is very bumpy. It is either that one string trim the majority of it which would take the guys forever. I use a Toro 52" ZTR and go very slow on the first pass by the water and get as close as I can to cut down on string trimming and after the first three or four passes its not that bad. I go across, not up and down.

#10 ·
Thanks guys...

what I'm hearing is go with the bigger ztr if i do decide to ride it... Just curious on this question: has anyone ever tried mowing straight down and going up backwards (to prevent flipping over backwards on the way up)? Would that be a viable option if all else fails?

I'd like to see some pictures of what you have rode or wouldnt ride.

#13 ·
I've done some pretty steep hills in the past but none near 40 degrees. And honestly, I wouldn't touch a hill that was 40 degrees or steeper with a ztr, it would have to be a wb.

I'm pretty sure that most ztr manufacturers say not to use a ztr on a slope more than 15 or 20 degrees. I've done hills about 30 degrees, maybe slightly steeper, but my mower was sliding when going sideways and had a heck of a time going straight up the hill (almost stalled the engine when cutting). That was the steepest hill I would have wanted to cut with my bob-cat ztr.

From how your describing the hill you have to mow, I would get a wb. If you flip that ztr while mowing, that is going to be one hell of a ride to the bottom of the hill. If you do decide to do it, have an employee have 911 on speed-dial...better yet just call your local FD and ambulance service and have them standby on site because I know what's going to happen and you'll want a quick response from them.

Stay safe out there!!

#15 ·
Sorry you can't pay me enough to use a Z on a steep hill, I'd rather trim an
acre worth of that with a dang string trimmer before I chance it.

It's just not worth it, depending how steep but once it gets to a point, no way.

Just curious on this question: has anyone ever tried mowing straight down and going up backwards (to prevent flipping over backwards on the way up)? Would that be a viable option if all else fails?
Yeah, pull that stunt and you'll head straight down hill face first and fast, in fact so fast you'll be lucky if circumstance gives you
the chance to somehow pull out of it, I would suggest getting a larger deck Wb and practice with those for about 5 years or better.

#19 ·
Here is one pic from the road. It doesnt do the hill much justice. From here it looks more towards the 30-35 range to me. But Ive been just on the other side of those trees looking at it and I'd call it 35+ from there.

Plant Tree Road surface Natural landscape Wood

#23 ·
Not a NASCAR fan, but an ME student trying to pay his way through college. I know angles all too well.

Check this video ( ) out at 7 minutes.... maybe i'm off but it looks around 30 to me. His bad boy seems to have no toruble with it.

And here is a pic just so we have something acurate to compare to... Still, despite the previous bad photography. I would call the hill (the steepest part, not including the decreases in slope at the top and bottom) between 30-35. I just want to know if anyone has ever mowed anything close to a 35 on a rider and how. (Special thanks to mathisfun.com)

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Circle

#25 ·
Not a NASCAR fan, but an ME student trying to pay his way through college. I know angles all too well.

Check this video ( ) out at 7 minutes.... maybe i'm off but it looks around 30 to me. His bad boy seems to have no toruble with it.

And here is a pic just so we have something acurate to compare to... Still, despite the previous bad photography. I would call the hill (the steepest part, not including the decreases in slope at the top and bottom) between 30-35. I just want to know if anyone has ever mowed anything close to a 35 on a rider and how. (Special thanks to mathisfun.com)
Start out creeping downhill and let the hydros hold you back. Let it gradually increase in speed and DO NOT try to slow it down or you will start sliding. If that happens you have to speed up and regain traction and let the hydros hold you back. You need 25 ft at the bottom to slow down gradually don't want to wreck your pumps.

#26 ·
Here's one for you Richard. It's not the steepest hill ever mowed but it steep enough to lose control if it's wet.
That looks pretty flat to me, If is wet and you slide down is because when you are going downhill all the traction and weight goes to your front wheels. If you mow side to side or diagonal it will help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.