1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who has mowed when it's 32 outside or colder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Dec 3, 2005.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I know the golf courses wait till frost burns off in the morning to mow but I think that may be because they have to cut so much shorter than us and have to be more careful about damaging the grass. Have any of you got caught by a cold snap with no end in sight and had a customer call for one more cut? I have just such a customer and he has been a very good customer for several years so I really want to cut him even in very cold weather as long as it won't harm his grass. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. COIX

COIX LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Here in Texas we won't stay below freezing for very long, but I think it depends on the type of grass. I have seen companies mow perrinial rye grass when is freezing and shatter the crown with their mower, leaving tire marks of dead rye grass.
  3. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Come on guys, who has done this and is from a northern state like me?
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow when it is below freezing a few times a week during November and December. We start at 6:30am but by 8:00am, it has usually thawed out. We have not seen any damage from cutting when there is frost on the ground.
  5. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I did it last week do lasting damage id mowit.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

mowing with frost will leave blackened trails in the turf, especially on a golf course, thats frosted grass, frozen grass will bend down under your wheels and pretty much folds the plant, yes you can mow in the freezing cold, this time of year won't matter much because it will recover in the spring anyway.
    personally, I don't and wont mow during frost, I do use my z for leaf cleanups and a lot of the time that is when the temp is way below 32.
    go for it!
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Was around 15 degrees this morning on a cleanup/final mow, sure wasn't fun but i did it!
  8. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Finished our last lawn yesterday. 26 degrees!!
  9. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Its not going to hurt it. I am from Pittsburgh and I have spent the last few weeks doing final mowing jobs here and there. Obviously it isnt the best thing to do to the grass but it will recover fine in the spring. Plus there are going to be days in the near future that it will be over 32 degrees it will thaw it out.
  10. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

Two of my men cut a lawn last week when the temperature was about 36 degrees, it would have been ok but the younger one without the experience set the blades too low. The temperature fell to about 30 degrees that night. The next day I went by and to my horror the grass had turned WHITE, the frost had damaged it. I don't see that lawn greening up again until spring.