1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who has or has used a COUNTRY CLIPPER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by orangejbird, May 23, 2005.

1. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

I'm looking at the Charger. Want "SPECIFICS" on experiences within the last model year. No "their junk" or "I wouldn't waste. . ." etc.
    They look well made. Simple hydros. 27hp vert shaft Kohler. Flip up deck. Joystick (my preference) or dual lever. Don't find much on here recently about them. I think they look to be a rugged easy to service machine.

Let's get some well informed observations on this post. Thanks.
  2. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Joystick is fun and easy to learn. Flip Up deck is a great help in changing blades and servicing underside of deck. Deck gives a wonderful cut. Overall the machine runs with the best of em.
  3. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

i have one and the deck is very heavy duty. they are very simple machines and that is very helpful. the cut is very nice.
  4. webfoot

webfoot LawnSite Member

I just bought one yesterday and I love it.Put about seven hours on it today and it did a great job.Mine is a 60 inch cut.What kind of price are they asking?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I've asked and everyone who has the new ones seem extremely happy.
    I've test drove the joystick and twin stick.
    I was really impressed.

To me, the flip up deck is awesome.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

OK guys, so answer a question for me that seems stupid to ask....

But what are the blade demensions on your deck size?

I'm curious of the length, width, center hole size, ect...

Just trying to figure out if they are a standardized size and shape where you can get lots of different blades for them at different places. For example, 5/8" seems to be a pretty standard center hole size. Flat blades seem to also be becoming more the standard shape. A standard length for a 52" blade would be 18" ect.....

If I'm not mistaken they use a formed/shaped blade rather than flat, and the center hole size is smaller..... (?)
  7. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

"Standard" is a relative term IMO. I know that Country Clipper decks ALL have around 1-1/2" (or more) of overlap, which to me is important to minimize any streaking (uncut grass) when doing Z-turns. I know they also have 1/2" center holes, BUT they do not use this bolt to drive the blade like some equipment does. There is a Forged, notched out driver on the end of the spindle that does the dirty work as far as driving the blade, the bolt just holds it in place.

With all that said, I think the blades spec out as follows

42" cut = 15" blades
    48" cut = 17" blades
    52" cut = 18-3/8" blades
    60" cut = 21" blades
    72" cut = 25" blades

Pretty sure they offer high lift, low lift, and gator blades for most of these sizes.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Thank you very much for that information. I appreciate it. I argued these machines had more blade overlap like Hustler and Cub/Lesco. It's got 63" of blades under the 60" deck, which makes for a 1.5" overlap. Many 61" mowers run 21" blades.

Bantam, what I was really getting at about the 'standard' part is that for instance many of the major players use 5/8" center holes and the same size blades. This is good in a sense for the end user, because there are several resources for blades, brand name lines can be crossed, mix-n-match, ect.

But the really good part is that some of the brands actually offer a little different style of blade in the same size. This can help out if the need arises to fine tune cut quality when conditions change drastically.

So I wasn't really saying that's a bad thing about Country Clipper... just an option you don't have. Where as if the center hole size was 5/8" then several other MFG's 21" blades for their 61" decks would also fit....

Not really a good or bad thing, just something I was curious to know.

Again, thanks Bantam, you have always been very helpful about any Country Clipper questions.
  9. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently demoing a Charger with a 25hp kohler this thing is outstanding! The only thing that has been done to it is the dealer which is a good good dealer took off the standard low lifts and put on high lifts. This mower stripes good holds a hill real good and is very easy to operate. I am using a twin stick! If you have a good dealer I think you will like the machine real well!
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Green King,

I found the same thing to be true of the handling of the mowers. But I have not had the opportunity to cut grass with one yet. How does the 25hp Kohler feel power wise on the 60" deck? I think they offer a 27hp on the Charger also this year. I know you can get it on the Zeton...

I'm thinking you are probably going to buy one?