Who has recinded their fuel surcharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm just wondering how many of you who instituted a fuel chage when gas got over 3 bucks a gallon have recinded that charge now that gas has dropped a buck and a quarter?

Have any of your customers asked about it?

I rode the increase out and just increased the overall price for over half of my customers next year.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is so weird you brought this up, because I was thinking the same thing. I don't have a fuel surcharge, but I too am curious to those that had one what happened
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm like the government and taxes! Once I get it I ain't giving it back

unless they ask about it:D
  4. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

One reminded me of the decrease, but the following week wrote a check for the increased amount. Must of felt sorry for me.:cry:

Haven't heard from the rest.:cool2:
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive taken the surcharge off of mine, Hasnt been alot of work here so I havent had any complaints lol
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't add it on this month, even tho gas being over 2 bucks is nuts it's still not "extreme" like around 3 a gallon is. I had just added a buck each week per cut for most customers, for larger ones it was 2%.
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Never went with the surcharge

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Never went with the surcharge i did not think it would work for us, competetion is very hard here nobody is loyal mabye your spouse and always mans best friend.
  9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i added a buck per cut too. havent recinded it yet. wait till winter takes hold to see if price stays up due to heating oil demand keeping gas prices high
  10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I added a surcharge as of Sept 1st. Gas was $3.19 at that time...HAD TO DO IT!

In my monthly bills I include a NEWSLETTER. In that I explained that when rates were determined for 2005, gas was $1.69 a gallon. WHICH IT WAS, I looked up my receipts from Jan 2005 (even though I calculated rates as if gas would be $2.50). Gas here is generally in the $2.15 range, all though one side of town has had it at $1.99 for about a week. I will DROP my Surcharge when gas hits $1.69...if it ever does. Until then it stays on! It has REALLY HELPED in last 2 months. Goes directly to the BOTTOM LINE.

Personally, I don't see why all LCO's didn't add one. I have had NO ONE QUIT ME OVER IT. In fact, several people commented that they thought it would have been higher (I went $2 for residential & $5 for commercial) & sooner.