Who has the biggest baddest 36"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, May 13, 2004.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I've been using a Ferris 36 single drive now for 2 seasons with a pro-slide and I'm pretty much fed up with the lack of power and no dual hydro...I have very little choice here in Canada...I really like the look of the Hustler but no one sells it here so my choices are..
    Gravely 36" for around $4500 15hp
    Toro 36"
    Exmark 36" but not too many people carry it...
    or a Gravely 34" zero turn that is on sale for $6000 but I doubt it will do most of my properties due to the amount of hills...
    There is a dealer that sells Great dane but he is in the middle of the city... and would be a bugger to get to.

I think I priced a Toro with floating deck and a bigger engine and it was around $8000 (just stupid)
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I paid 400.00 for this slapped on a 18 B/S, lots of power, its even a hydro.

36 frankinmachine 003.jpg
  3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

What are those two things sticking out?
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

AAh.............the mufflers.
    Need to fab a dual exhaust for mine one day.
  5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

martyman, I'm near you & have a Toro 36" hydro for sale...

Check your PM's
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A 36" wright velke mower or a 36" wright stander.
  7. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36 in. wright velke mower that i would not be caught dead without. it does everything well and is built like a tank. shop around, i got this one with 2 hours on it for $3300.. .... good luck!
  8. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I just got the Great Dane Gateway which is actually a 52" but folds up to 36" for gates. Very handy and productive.
  9. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I assume you are talking about the Gravely 34Z rider - which Gravely has engineered out of their hydro pro walk mower.

You say this machine is $6000 Canadien ? It sells for $3900 American. What is the current exchange rate right now ?

Have you got a Gravely dealer that would let you take a unit out for a day, and try it on some of your hilly properties ? It may really surprise you with how well it handles ! I know that it looks too narrow to be stable on hills, but it will really surprise you with how well it does. I thought the same as you when I first saw it - but it actually is far better than it appears like it would be. It may be helped by the large diameter of its rear tires I think. They are so much bigger than the tires that go on a walk behind mower, plus the weight of the driver giving even more traction grip to the rear wheels, all combined these little riders will really surprise you with their ability to grip onto a hillside.
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Gravely walkbehind tractor, with the 36 " multi mode deck, and it kicks arse. Dual wheels help it cling to hillsides. The local Gravely dealer has NOTHING on the floor, (except one lonely Troybuilt string trimmer) so a test drive would be out of the question here. Many people in this area think Gravely isn't as good as it was. My newest Gravely machine is at least 15 years old, I haven't tried out the newer stuff, the Z's, etc. So I have no opinion on the new stuff.
    I know if they don't stock it, who's gonna buy it?? :confused: