1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who has the biggest Zero turn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, Sep 17, 2012.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

What company has the biggest zero turn? Heaviest,longest ect. I did sit on a Ferris 5100 z (72")(2200lbs) and this machine was huge. It made a hustler super Z look like a little toy. I have noticed some wide dixie choppers .Will a bigger machine handles bumps and slopes better? Since having a wider wheel base?

2. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

a bigger deck isn't always the best, they have more of a tendency to ''dig'' in on turns. do your research on each machine before making a purchase and see what others have to say about it.

3. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in rural king the other day and there was a Massey Ferguson zero turn, had to weigh 2000 lbs. Biggest bulkiest unthoughout machine I've ever layer eyes on, and then they stuck a little stamped deck on it likes on jd zero turns at Lowes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Williams,

I did a Field Test on a Ferris 5000 a few years back. Here's a pic of it next to my Super Z, I thought my trailer would break when I loaded it. Going up the ramp the back of the trailer almost touched the ground! It had a 60 or 61 in rear discharge deck on it. It was a big mother!

Ferris 5000.jpg

6. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Have friend that used to mow in Western KY, he run a couple of these on loan from the Lastec R&D department, he told me they are great machines just heavy and high dollar.

8. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

IMO the 35 hp Cat on Ferris 5100 with only a 61" deck is waaay overkill (at least in most cases). I just don't see it....but, "to each his own". :)

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

"Who has the biggest Zero turn? "

I do.

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

That ferris is huge!!!!!!!