Who has the split tail wheel option for the Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by farmboy52787, Sep 11, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Who has the split tail wheel option for the walker? Pro & Cons? Thank you

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this where the wheels are in the center, but two little one's side by side? Or is it the wheels on the outside corners? If its the first description, than I have it. LOVE IT!!! I have had a flat in one wheel and finished the day mowing. A great little feature, much better then the one big rear tail wheel. Hope this helps.

3. farmboy52787

No your talking about the dual rear tail wheel. I'm talking about the outside corner one.

4. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the split tail wheel option on one of my Walkers and like it. I'd have to say the pros to it are that it smooths out the ride because the rear end doesn't bounce every time it hits a bump. The split tail wheel allows you to straddle a hole in the lawn. It also seems to help with hillside stability and traction. If your one of those people who doesn't like the extra wheel mark in the middle of your stripes, it gets rid of that too and stripes like a midmount. The only cons I can think of are when your in tight areas it is easy to drop one of the wheels into a landscape bed and you have to give yourself a little more room to turn at the end of each row or you will drop a wheel into a landscape bed or off a curb. This was pretty annoying to me at first because I've been running Walkers with the traditional center tail wheel for 12 yrs. After a week of running the split tail wheel machine I was able to learn to operate it without dropping a wheel off of curbs or into beds. It's just a little learning curve if your used to the other style. Overall I'd say it's a worthwhile option to smooth out the ride and get extra traction on hills.

5. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

saw one on ebay for like 500 or something, does it greatly improve stability on hillsides? as to much its worth the 500 buck a roos? I love my MD but it cant hold a hill to save its life

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I saw the same one on Ebay. I'm betting the seller bought it and didn't like it... I'd like to TRY the set-up first for sure, that's a lot of money for a couple caster wheels and a Y fork. I agree, I'd probably be dropping it off curbs left and right. I tend to turn VERY close to things because I only make 1 pass around the perimeter of the lawn. Would love to reduce the bouncing though! My biggest complaint about the Walker is the rear bounce, oh, and when the rear won't hop over a little bump like a raised concrete pad when turning.

7. farmboy52787

Really, they help on hillside traction? I wonder why or how?

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Assumption here:

I figure the wider stance in the rear would prevent some of the "body roll" towards the downside of the slope. Gravity is naturally taking weight off the upper drive tire and adding it to the lower one. The wider forks may help stabilize the machine some and keep the ground pressure more equal for both drive tires.

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have the optional split dual tail wheel on my John Deere F-680, it was a $650 option back in 02 a must for that beast. I did not want it on my Walker; because I wanted maximum maneuverability in tight spaces, yes you can straddle a hole better, or just slow down before the hole with the single dual tail wheel. IMO the Walker MD diesel or the LC 31 hp gasburner "heavier Walkers" with the 9.5 hopper, high lift dump would benefit most from the split tail wheel.

The split tail wheel is great for wide area's running the larger decks, rough terrain, hills, wet turf, ditchs & you have a heavy Walker. You will do just fine 99.9% of the time without it. Or if you gotta have all the options go for it.

On hills just empty the hopper often the Walker will climb like a billy goat(backwards) until the hopper gets 1/2 full you can feel it when it happens:laugh:

10. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Good explanation Jason! As far as it being worth the $$$. It just depends on what kind of accounts are being mowed [ lots of hills or not many hills, bumpy lawns or nice and smooth lawns, lots of really tight areas or more open areas]. I have the best of both worlds on my rig. I've got a 26MTGHS with the center tail wheel and a 31MTGHS with the split tail wheels. The split tail wheel is really helpful on the liquid cooled models since they are faster straight from the factory than a model MT with the speed up kit.