Who has tried this and has it worked for getting rid of weeds in beds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by shelbymustang616, Apr 17, 2011.

1. shelbymustang616

shelbymustang616 LawnSite Member

Curious, we use cotton hoes to remove weeds in plant beds, this takes time in heavy weeded beds, then it all has to be picked up. Wondering..can we spray the weeds with roundup etc. and mulch ontop? I have never tried this as i want to doa quality job and not risk extra work. But I ask for those who like to experiment.

2. johnnybow

johnnybow LawnSite Member

I like to pull the weeds by hand and then spray. Then mulch over top.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

you must be licensed to do any pesticide apllication not on your own property.round up is a pesticide. but , it works great for a while to answer the question

4. shelbymustang616

well i am a registered and licensed applicator :) But can i Spray and cover with mulch? will weed pop back up will it kill the weeds?

5. grassman177

it will still kill the weeds, but of course be careful not to get on fresh spray etc. i prefer to spray in advance if possible

6. shelbymustang616

so spray weeds couple days before and apply mulch ontop?

7. GunnPropertyServices

GunnPropertyServices LawnSite Senior Member

depending on the size of the weeds i will trim them down and then spray and mulch on top, it would be better to spray it advance but time and trips come into play, i usally just spray same day as mulching never had a problem

8. grassman177

it is better, but you can do it carefully and stay off the sprayed areas while mulching if you have to be

9. shelbymustang616

what herbicide have you had the most luck with. I have been looking at Ranger pro. Its 84.95 for 2.5 gallons and is generic brand of roundup.

10. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys may already be aware of this, so for the others

Round-up aka Glyphosates are non-selective and will kill every-thing. The spray drift will effect plants in other areas too.
    It is also temperature sensitive and can't be used below 18 Celcius, or about 70 ferenheit
    Please go to the store and read the labels and reread them on site before using them each time.

Can you not find a selective herbicide there that only kills weeds? I don't know
    what brand names you have there. We have Killex for instance. It contains
    2, 4-D mecoprop and dicamba. It will not harm the grass or other plants when used
    according to the label directions.

With this stuff you just have to spray the problem spots. If you have perennial weeds such as dandelions, pull them out and you can spray down the hole onto the root bit that is remaining. Use a cotton hoe on grass clumps and tough weeds.

If the weeds are a major problem in a garden, treat the edges and around plants
    then put down landscape fabric and at least three inches of bark mulch to suppress
    the weed growth.

Once a year, top dress with one inch of mulch.

As the mulch decomposes it will deplete nitrogen and you'll get new weeds growing in and on the mulch...these are nitrogen fixers, like buttercup and clover.

Fertilize the plants regularly according to their needs
    and spot spray these new weeds with a Killex type herbicide or use an eco-friendly alternative like "Fiesta" or "Eco-sense"