Who Has Used ThisProduct?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jun 25, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Gregson-Clark sells the Eco-505. It's a secondary tank that hooks to your primary through an internal hose WITHIN your hose. It hooks to your chemlawn gun with a second trigger - allowing you to spot spray a chemical (weed killer or insecticide, etc)...

I am considering it. Or creating something similar (because the price tag on this little thing is absolutely insane). Just looking for feedback from anyone who has used/owns one. Thanks!

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TrueBrown has used a similar set up or years. Big differences is the hoses are side by side instead of inside. It also appears the Gregson-Clark center hose is smaller than TrueBrown's set up.

I have studied Injection systems for years now. But I have never pulled the trigger and purchased one. I am once again looking at injection as a way to use customer hose water, and eliminate the need of high gasoline cost of a tanker truck. There are many set ups sold today. But the dual hose gun injector is the only one that seems to hold up and stand the test of time.
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Thanks, Ric. Invaluable as always!

I can't stomach the $2,400 price tag, but really hate the concept of treating the whole lawn with the hose - only to have to go back over it with the spot sprayer for weeds. Seems like such a waste of time. With profit margins dwindling, efficiency has become the name of the game (for me, anyhow) and so I'm looking at single-pass solutions such as this...
  4. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I always wanted to go to that setup also. Talked to Gregson and got quotes also and came to the conclusion it was to expensive at the time. Couldn't find anyone to talk to that has the system to get info about how good it was.

Unfortunately, I worked for Truebrown in the mid 90's when they switched to the rhino trucks from the tankers. These trucks were set up as Ric said with the dual line but our manager never implemented the system. Reasoning was other branches were having problems with acurate calibrations. The first hose was rubber, very heavy and a pain in the a$$ to pull. Then they switched to the clear pvc which was much better. Pulling the dual hose was senseless but they didn't seem to care.

The other problem at that time I could see was the gun was different. You squeezed to the first notch for full fert then had to squeeze a little further for the supplemental tank. This would have been very hard to do the tight little areas, defeating the purpose of the system.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the TrueBrown gun is not the same as the Gregson Clark gun.

A few years back I got the chance to strip parts off a bunch of Junked TrueBrown trucks. One of the items I still have and use is the injector tank for the dual hose system. I use it as a stand alone herbicide tank and love the mechanical agitator for Atrazine. I didn't get any dual hose guns but I did get 8 Stainless Steel hose reels full of double hose line. All that hose ended up in the landfill, because I had no use for it.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

It seems to me that all you'd have to do is a bucket test, with each trigger pulled into a different bucket. From there you'd just do the math with the ratio you determined...

Either way, I think this would be an incredibly simple system to duplicate - but at a fraction of the cost of what GC wants...
  7. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Their gun only had the one trigger, had to pull it all the way open to get the supplemental tank to kick in.

I keep thinking the same thing on duplicating but the more in depth I think about it the more I believe it would cost. I would like to have something more like a long canister attached between the gun and the hose with the same principal but it would not hold much herbicide or it would be too heavy. The other problem would be to pressurize the cannister.

I don't recall, is that 1/2 or 3/8 hose on the Gregson Clark system?

Do you still have the hose reels?
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

Right. Sorry, I was thinking in terms of this modified chemlawn gun...

Why so? GC sells the hose and the gun. That leaves a small poly tank, a 12v pump that can tap into the same hot lead the hose reel uses, and then some system to connect the smaller tubing into the little poly tank. Am I missing something? Agitation should be a non issue, since the mix will likely be near concentrate...

Yeah, the logistics of pulling that off would are daunting. How 'bout a small backpack sprayer that you wear with it? ;)

It's 1/2".

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

They were actually 4 stacks of double reels, all SS. I have one rack left or two reels. I keep thinking I am going to use them some day.
  10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Same here. $2,400 seems a lot more reasonable after you add up the cost of all the components and the time spent fiddling around building it.

This may not be the absolute lowest price for this dual hose reel but they're spendy none the less. http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=960

Does anyone know how GC does the coaxial splice? Do they just use some kind of a Y connector? How does the red hose connect into that?