Who has XM on their mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncare1, Feb 13, 2014.

1. precisioncare1

precisioncare1 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Each mower has XM installed for anyone running it... Think it's a good idea or no? We were using pandora on our phones but there are some areas we cover that we don't get cell coverage, plus it would drain our batteries.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I had it on a new 44" ferris I bought about 2 yrs ago. I loved it, but sold. The whole outfit to a friend.

3. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

XM radio?

That is cool, how do you hear it? Headphones?

Or is this for tracking purposes?

4. precisioncare1

from NY

At first we used peltor earmuffs and tuned to a blank station i.e. 88.1...I found them to work good but they very "sweaty" while working. So now we have gone to ear buds/head phones that are like foam, you can squeeze them, put them in your ears, then they expand. I don't need the volume high to have a good sound and I can still hear the mower. The only thing that worries me is I don't know if they have a NRR like the peltors did. I guess a great combo would be the ear bud style with a NNR...maybe someone already has them?

5. precisioncare1

from NY

http://m.earplugstore.com/e-a-rbuds.html
    I guess people make them, this is just one of them
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

it annoys me people can't work without a radio.

I dunno why, it just annoys me.

When I worked for TruGreen, as fleet manager I ordered over 100 trucks with 'radio delete' meaning they came with no radios.

7. precisioncare1

from NY

I like music while mowing, but if I'm doing anything else I could care less...we have bigger properties, so we are mowing between 20mins and 3 hrs per property start to finish, and on one day in the rotation we don't move the truck all day...that can be a long day. But I agree, why do I feel the need to have entertainment?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

its an odd addiction… I've seen guys get into a truck and NEVER fail to turn the radio on first, IMMEDIATELY….uhhh dude, did you check the oil?

9. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a thing wrong with radio while working. 3M Worktunes are great. Never a work day without them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

I think this would be an awesome 8th grade science project. Music vs no music vs efficiency.