Who hates being watched while cutting?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Sep 3, 2004.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, does anyone else hate it when customers sit in there lawn chairs, stand there with there arms folded, or follow us around when we cut? Sure they have a right it's there property, but it just gets under my skin! Wish they'd stay inside or better yet not be home when I am there.

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I could care less if it's an adult. They know better. If kids are outside watching me, I send them inside or load the trailer and go to the next job.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

If they did what you mentioned to me, their grass would not get cut, period. I would take the time before I even agreed to do ANY work for them, to explain to them that they can feel free to watch from INSIDE their home, but due to (VERY REAL) liability reasons, no work will be performed with people/ pets in the work area..

4. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

I am with txlawnking on this one!!!

5. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

ahhh.... the sidewalk foreman you gotta love them! I swear they plan their week around me. The ones I have are usually outside waiting for me. Or the can be outside before my feet can touch the street from the truck.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have an old man that use to come out with his cane while I mowed. He would follow me around and point out various spots that he wanted mowed or trimmed. It upset me at first and wanted to drop him bad. I would of, but I was making just under $1 a minute. He fell down and broke his hip, so now he just stays inside. I am gald I stuck it out....lol

7. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

doesnt matter a bit to me, i am the best and never skip over anything, if they have a problem with something i do, i tell them to go graduate college with a turf degree and then question me.

8. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bunch of old people who come out to say hi they sometimes watch a little.
    As long as they stay away and wont get hurt I dont mind an audiance. I think they look forward to my mowing. One old lady told me she missed me because for two weeks I mowed her lawn on wednesday insted of thursday. She has a volinteer group on wednesday.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Customers can watch me all they want just don't get in the way. I'm not shy.

10. Sneaky

Sneaky LawnSite Member

I just tell them of an incident that happened a couple months ago. My blade broke for no known reason and flew about 80 feet out to the side. After that little story they usually stay inside if they like their legs.