1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who here builds house pad sites?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Jun 21, 2007.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I am about to build a house and I want to know more about building pads for slab construction. I have a bobcat, but for my first house I am going to hire someone.

Anyone out there do this type of work?
  2. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Is the house yours, or or you going to build to sell? I would never build my house unless it had a full basement. The average 2,xxx sq ft house basement cost in the $20,xxx range complete(labor, concrete, excavating, waterproofing, backfilling). That is a lot of space for the money. I am on concrete all day, and don't want to be when I go home.
  3. SouthernYankee

Its a build to sell, my father is a retired builder and its finally time to start my own company.

Where I am in Texas its slab only due to the clay and water table. I already have an engineered slab design, but I dont really know much about pad building.

I agree with the basements, thats all we had where I grew up and what my father built.
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we dig a lot of basements, not too many pads or crawlspaces...do you have a particular question or just seeing who does this type of thing?
  5. SouthernYankee

From what I take it you would follow roughly the same procedures below for building a pad.

1. Strip organic materials 6 to 24 inches off natural base of clay.

2. Test and see if there are major soft spots in clay, if so excavate and remove

3. Bring in clean fill and build up on where the structure is to be built, extend 4 ft around where structure is to be placed.

4. Pack down clean fill.

From what I take it that seems to be the common procedure here, After the forms are placed the slab builder puts clean sand about 4 inches on top of the pad.

Does this sound like common pad building?
  6. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like how we do them in North Alabama if you're on level ground. Except, we usually put 4 inches of "67" crushed limestone, not sand. Probably according to what you have in good supply. Limestone comes straight out of the local hills here, sand has to come on barges. An engineering firm can test for proper compaction, cost is negligible compared to overall cost of the project (maybe two or three hundred bucks.)
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

SiteSolutions has a necessary point addressed.........get an engineering firm to test for "bottom" and fill compaction to final grade. We have and do build tilt-up's and block buildings and this is cheap insurance in relation to the total integrity of the building project. In most cases it is code/city required, and even if it was not, I would do it anyways. Alot of time, when it comes to selling and getting a bank loan it is a requirement of the bank's loan process to review engineering and compaction reports before approving a loan........no doc's and engineering........no loan.
  8. SouthernYankee

I had a soil testing company do two 20ft borings and my results were sent to my engineer who designed my slab based on that. I had to do since its required by my HOA , who are the ones that actually grant my building permit.
  9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the folks you hire gonna just "walk in" the pad with their loader, or are they gonna use a sheepfoot roller? CTLs probably don't have enough ground pressure to properly compact the pad completely, but I think a steel track machine does, or a rubber tire skid steer with steel tracks over the wheels.

If you/they have a dump truck at your disposal, you can get a rough check of compaction yourself by having the truck loaded about 2/3 of full weight drive back and forth on the pad while you observe the pad under the rear wheels, looking for soft spots or areas that rut up more than 1-2 inches. I have seen engineers do a "proof roll" like this in addition to other testing.
  10. SouthernYankee

I got my proposal for the concrete and pad work, does anyone have ball park figures about what that should run?