who here cuts lawn after "work" ? how many accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jun 10, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

anyone start mowing by 3:00 in the afternoon? do you find it hard to get any work done at that time of the day?

how many accounts do you have.

i'm going to be starting a 6-2:30pm job and will be maintaining about 30-35 weekly accounts

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Myself and one of my guys works til' 3pm M-F and one other college kid who works with us a few days a week. We manage about 25 residential, 8 commercial and two condo complexes, one is a 52 unit complex and the other is a 20 unit complex. We actually had more last year but dropped and lost a few this year. My route is very tight and thats huge! The problem begins in the late summer into fall.....daylight begins to disappear really quick. My advise either stay small or start finding help now.

3. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still in school, so I have to do my work after 3:00. I normally am at the first job by 3:30, then I will work until dark. But now its summer, so I can start working at 12:00 (summer school in the morning), and work until 6:00. I have an old guy working for me, so I don't want to kill him with work, because I need him.

-Mitch-

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I have a "real job" at a local garden center and manage 5 of my own accounts. I work 7:30am till done, usually between 4 and 7, and I cut when I get home till dark.

5. rthacker

rthacker LawnSite Member

State Trooper in Georgia, I try to cut 5 to 6 accounts before 3:00 pm or 4 to 5 cuts after depends on my shift. Before 3:00 pm is easier because of the heat of the summer and the clients not home to gossip. I currently have 25 accounts all residential. Its tough having a full time job plus a business, but I enjoy the work and taking care of the equipment.

Z453
    E-261
    T230
    T242
    BR600

6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 4 lawns right now, looking to pick up 3 maybe 4 more next year.

between putting my time in at the fire hall and my "day job" i am usually pretty busy durring the week. I try to do my lawns on sundays and get it over with, my customers don;t mind me doing it then ( i know some people get real picky about that, so I asked first). if it rains on sunday then i usually do 2 one night after work and 2 the next.

7. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have a day job as well. Try to schedule mowing, spray, fert, etc after 3PM. I do have a guy that mows during the day. We have 40+ mowing accounts and 100+ fert/spray accounts. The way the weather has been the past couple weeks it has been tough to work the spraying in. The mowing we have managed with the help of an older/retired person. When I first started I mowed 14 accounts, 2 of which were large farms and I tried not to work on Sundays.

8. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

18 yards right now. usually start after 4.

9. RHill

RHill LawnSite Member

I am also a full time police officer, I mow about 20 residential accounts on my days off. I usually mow early in the morning, then late in the afternoon, sometimes till dark. I like to stay out of the heat in the middle of the day.

10. railman

railman LawnSite Member

I have 27 accounts right now and I don't have a set schedule at work. im on call 24/7. my job gives me a 2 hr call before I have to be at work and lately I has been busy. so I just cut grass before or after work just depends. im so glad that I understanding customers. like right now i'll be working all night get off about 6 in the morning ang go home and sleep till noon wake up and go cut grass till dark or when the regular job calls again.