Who here is retired with a lawn business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by venecular, Aug 4, 2004.

1. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Just curious how many on here is actually retired and have/own a lawn business?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Get back to me later on that. Plan on retiring in the not too distant future....

3. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Hi, venecular. I retired in '99 and got bored. Man, you gotta do something.

4. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Avery....any plans for the business after your retire....or your clients? I'm in Hampton and come to Nags Head frequently for vacation. My buddy wants me to start up there....I almost bid on some condo's in Duck recently.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm a retired autoworker (GM) from Michigan. I moved to the sunshine state and after a year of relaxing I started a lawn care business. I'm too young to quit working and I didn't want to go back to punching a time card again. Cutting grass here in FL is a 10 month per year job, so it leaves me 2 months to vacation and relax.

6. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

Met a guy today who has been in the business awhile. Next week he will be 95. Yes NINETY-FIVE. But I'm not sure if he is retired. BTW he mows 5 yards a week with a 21 inch snapper, Weedeater bent shaft, & bandit blower.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on selling the entire business. Maintenance and install dept.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Rockhouse, I hope he's doing it because he wants to. Too many times older people just can't make ends meet.

9. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

He says it keeps him busy. I don't think he has to do it. BTW the heat index today was about 105.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I was driving through a neiborhood last week and there was a lady looked like she was in her 80s pushing a wheeled blower down the sidewalk, about a mile later I saw grandpa resting next to his wb. I couldnt believe my eyes but they did good work