1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WHO here knows how to do a Vortex pattern?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Runner, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Someone on here posted some pictures of some cuts they did, and a few of them were a vortex pattern. I need to learn this, and exactly how to do the row counts to begin. Anyone that knows how to do this, please let me know... I need to know how to do the row counts in the beginning, and how to clean the stops at the ends. Thanks in advance.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

what is a vortex pattern?
  3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

my thoughts exactly. i would like to know too, i could sound really smart if i informed potential clients that "i would incorporate a vortex mowing pattern into their lawn in order to follow sound horticultural procedures." if i sound like i know what im doing and use a few big words they normally choose me, i do carry a dictionary though so i can look up the words after i use them, ive even made up a few of my own! and the customer still thinks i know what im doing:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

How about a picture......... Vortex pattern ???
  5. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

I think it is the diamond pattern??
  6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Naw, that would be the "DIAMOND PATTERN". The vortex pattern would look like a tornado :)
  7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

what ever it is i bet it looks great when done right
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Step 1: move to Kansas

Step 2: wait till tornado comes (not if, but when)

Step 3: admire your "vortex pattern" in your lawn...and house...and everything else
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have to trim and edge after that or dose the flying debris kinda of take care of that
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's easy, just do the racetrack for a long time and it should come to you.
    That's what I used to do, but I got laughed at here for doing it so I stopped lol

And it was with a Toro, T-bar controls lend themselves to curves and turns real nice.
    Matter of fact I think T-bars suck at Z-turns but they're awesome for lazy circles
    especially concentric or spiraling ones, I also think pistol grip controls are the exact opposite.