Who here uses the Toro Personal Pace 22"ers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I like mine because of the ease of use and used it commercially last year. Bought it used for 200 dollars and it is still running great except gear and metal wear (see below). I see people with these 1200 dollar honda hydros and toro prolines but I don't know the benefits of switching, and if I do switch, do I go belt or hydro. It can go up to 4.8 mph though. Plus, the gears wore down and the metal on mine wore down where I had to put extra washers to keep the axle from shifting, keeping the axle and wheel gears together. The Toro proline has a 1 gal fuel tank and the honda a .29 gal...how fast does that Toro go through fuel as compared to the Honda? What about the blade speed...Does the faster blade speed on the commercial really make a difference in cut quality? Can you all give me some benefits of the commercial cause I can buy a mower and throw it away 3 times to match the cost of a commerial. I don't really think though that the personal pace is a good mulcher, even with that atomic blade. Get in wet grass or higher grass and you better send it out the discharge. Thanks...

2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

You have already had problems after the first year, then you had to fix it. What was all that worth to you? The trans on that will end up going out and cables will break 10x more than either of those comm. mowers.

3. JasonX

JasonX LawnSite Member

I have used both the Toro Personal pace and Toro Proline. The Personal pace’s blade does not stay sharp. You have to sharpen it every day. The personal pace starts to fall apart (i.e. where the plastic wing nuts keep the handle from folding up. Mine fell out and I ended up finding the part in the yard and putting them back on with the wing nut on the inside of the handle so they didn’t stick out.) As you stated the wheels get loose. It is a good beginner mower but hands down the Toro Proline with the Honda engine is awesome. It does not fall apart like the Personal pace and it does not feel loose and clunky because the Proline is well built. I will never buy a homeowner mower ever again.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Toro Personal Pace used commercially = P.O.S. Mower

Toro or Honda Commercial = Nice Long Lasting Mower (1 will outlast 10 of the $360 PP, saving you $2400 over those 10 P.O.S. Mowers)

5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone here have the honda hydrostatic?