Who I am and what I do....

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by MarcSmith, Dec 12, 2005.

1. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Hey folks. her is kinda the offical ..About me... for this thread....

I am the Landscape/Grounds Manager for Georgetown University.... we have about 6000 Undergrads and about 4000 post grad students. Of these students, 90% of the undergrads live on campus.
    Georgetown U. is situated on 110 acres just west of Georgetown in the North West Section of Washington DC on the potomac River.

My reponsibilities include: snow removal on outliying sidewalks, stairs, cart paths, and some parking lots, All aspects of horticulture, Planting, mowing, trimming, design, contracts, Cleaning/emptying of trash cans, debris removal(flyers, posters, ect) Grafitti removal, tree pruning, Dumpster packing, Budgets, purchasing...the list I'm could go on. but you get the point..

My staff consists of 2 senior gardeners, 1 senior groundsperson, 7 gardeners, 12 laborers and one equipment operator. the workers are Unionized. I have been doing this for almost two years now, prior to this I was a manger for TGLC, ran my own business and worked for Walt Disney World in Florida.
  2. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

I am the Director of Landscape Operations for the Retirement Systems of Alabama (RSA). RSA is a state agency (kind of...long story and not sure I can explain it) that manages the retirement for state employees, teachers, state police and teachers. RSA currently has assets totaling somewhere around 24 or 25 billion dollars...but thats not my budget:D . I have been employed at RSA for 13 years.

Though RSA owns the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail and other resorts like The Grand Hotel in Point Clear Alabama I only maintain the buildings in downtown Montgomery. We maintain office buildings (one is a daycare), and small parks (2) that RSA owns. We are currently building another office building here in Montgomery and a 35 story office building in Mobile which we will maintain is one way or another. Most of RSA's tenants are state agencies however a few are private industry.

We perform all aspects of landscape management...pesticides, mowing, annual planting, some landscape installation and design, leaf and trash removal etc. I am also responsible for purchasing and making yearly budgets.
    I have one Landscape Production Manager and 4 Grounds Workers that work year around. They are all merit system employees. During the summer we could have 2 to 3 summer employees...usually college students looking for a summer job.
  3. DDAF

DDAF LawnSite Member

I did a post in another forum a few days ago and your name came up. I would move the post to this forum but I can't figure out how to do it. If you would go to the forum just starting a new business / Time to decide what I will do http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=126265

Any help or comments will be appreciated

4. MarcSmith

DDaf. I will get back to you later today/tonight. I am getting ready to leave for my Manager's Christmas Luncheon and I don't think I'll be coming back to work today..:)

I did gloss over the post, but I'll sit down and got into depth for ya...
  5. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, maybe not as glamorous... I'm the Director of Grounds at St. Cletus Parish... a Catholic church and school in the Chicago suburbs.

Responsibilities include planting, mowing, trimming, fertilizing, aerating, prunning, pesticides, development of IPM strategies, snow removal (except parking lot), debris removal, etc.

For snow, the custodial staff of the school assists with walkways, especially to the school. I have a fulltime assistant, usually in college, from spring until fall.

I hold a not-for-hire applicator's license.

Some work:

6. MarcSmith

I've seen those pics before. Nice work.....
  7. AUHort1990

Nice work!
  8. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

I've been hoping that Lawnsite.com would come up with a thread in this category for a while! For those of us in this area of the Green Industry, it's nice to have a thread we can use to commiserate and/or share experiences.

I'm the Grounds Suprervisor for the sixth oldest private college in the country, Moravian College in Bethlehem PA.

Like all of the previous postings, I have the same duties. I have eight full time groundsmen and two part time in the summer. We are responsible for approx. 95 acres of campus and off campus properties. I say approx. because we are always aquiring new properties to accomadate our growing student body, which at this time is 1600. We are also a Seminary for the Moravian faith and we take care of the facilities that support that endeavor.

My previous experience and education consists of Horticulture certifications from institutions out west, owned and partnered in three different landscape firms, c-10 contractor (expired) California, Assistant Manager Chemlawn ( later TGCL), Sales Supervisor Scotts, Horticulture sales for a couple of nurseries here in the east, design lead for another horticulture firm in NJ. I've been with the college for over two years.

Areas that I would like to see discussed in this thread: employment issues and problems/solutions, student interaction positive and negative on instituional sites, budget tricks to obtain the monies we need to get what we want ( a hard and idealistic item!!!!) , and general advise and experiences of what others are seeing.

Thanks to all responsible at Lawnsite for this forum!:waving:
  9. MarcSmith

Welcom John.....

I have a wish list of items that I always want to buy/need so that way if any budget money comes available I am ready to pounce and have done all of my research so I am making an educated purcahse. I have some equipment(pre me) that was purchaed with out any regard for what it actually does....and now it sits and gathers dust....

For th emsot part I am told that the budgets ar enon existed, but for the second year in a row I plan onl being under my projected budget so I can afford new toys.....

This past Year I picked up three of these and I plan on picking up a new one each year until my 10 year old JD Gators and golf carts are gone.

and the university purcahsed a 120' JLG High Reach, Nice to be able to much more tree work in house....

I have three gravely Pro 40's wich are due for replacement I have alredy speced out 2 48" scag Hydro WB and one 36" WB to replace them. Jsut waiting for the right time and money....

You really have to be on the ball with your finance to know what you can and can't do. I saved 10G by rebidding my bulb purchases. Don't be afraid to put stuff out for a rebid. Keeps your vendors honest....

But you always need to keep a wish list handy.....I gave up a front end Loader Yanmar Tractor last year in exchange for a new 52" scag WildCat....Why...it made sense...Ive used the scag more in one year that the yanmar had been used in five....Don't be afraid to sell old equipment and use those funds to offset the purchase of new....

My mechanic is getting ready to move to a new shop and I plan on putting a bunch of stuff on ebay....small engines, parts, ect....Its free money. You have to think outside the box, but I guess the people above also have to aprove what you do and have faith in your desicions.
  10. AUHort1990

I wish we could sale old equipment to help offset the cost of new. Everything we have (over a certain dollar amount...I think it's $500) that we want to get rid of has to go to State Surplus. Once a month they have a sale but we never get the money...not sure where it goes...I will have to inquire about that.