Who is an under-20 member?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pizpoppa, Sep 5, 2000.

1. Pizpoppa

Pizpoppa LawnSite Member

As a 17 year old lawn mower, I was curious to find out if I am in the minority or majority. Just let me know and add a little something interesting that could provide us rookies with some helpful information if you want, like how many customers, equipment, etc. Thanks.

2. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm only 13! My Dad and I have a mowing "business" in Southwest VA. We are gradually getting commercial eqipment and next year we are going to try to get more business, but for the past 1 (ALMOST 2) years we have gone by word-of-mouth only and not TRIED to get more yards. We (I) started last year with a Massey Ferguson MF7 which is (WAS, not in use now) in awful shape, and a Lowes 12 HP 38 inch cut and a Homelite curved shaft trimmer and some junk push mowers. We used to really be "SCRUBS" but we have always tried to do a good job. I have a post in the Who, What, Where board near the end of the thread.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

Hi,
    I will be 15 tomarrow. worked a lot mowing last year but do to parents separating i am taking this year off (moved). concentrating on learning and getting equip this year. ive learned more then any school teach me at lawnsite. i know there are atleast 5 other younger kids on this forum to.

4. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

hey im 18
    Ive been mowing lawns since i was about 8 maybe younger mabye older. i started just "helping" my dad push the mower in our yard. He has azma(sorry about spelling... I have no idea so i just wrote it phanetically)well anyways he had a hard time mowing the lawn plus i liked to do it so i mowed our lawn and then i got my grandmothers lawn I did her lawn for about 4-5 years 5 years ago so thats why i think i was 8 when i started. More recently 3 summers ago i knocked on a neighbors door and asked if he needed someone to mow his lawn. He let out a little laugh and explained that he owned his own landscaping company. He said that he loved to see kids making money so he said "sure." soon after that he asked i wanted to work for him and i worked all summer I learned a lot, but nothing really about mowing i only actually mowed my first day there. I worked at the stump dump he owned. I learned to operate loaders and bobcats and dump with a pto dump I fixed the machines changed the oil, even did an engine swap on an f150, also i fixed and maintained the morbark grinder. If you dont know what a grinder is its what they grind the stumps and brush up with. It had like a 300 horse cat engine, the actual cutters where like 2x4 inches and there where like 20 or 30 of them that wore down-broke off often and u had to change them. It was a great job even though the boss was actually a crook and probably on crack.
    last summer i began looking for a new job and stumbled upon one for a guy that does mostly maintainance. It was a good job as well i learned a ton and worked there again this summer. During the last 3 years I worked for landscapers i continued to have like 4-5 regular mowing customers... and they will miss me when i leave in 7 days for the U.S. Airforce.

5. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

17 Here!

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

i'm 16. I have my own landscape co. We do 25 lawns which takes about 1.5-2 days in the summer and the other 3 days we do landscape instals, fert, and other stuff like that. During school i cut back and only do lawns and cleanups. I usually have between 3and6 workers. I don't have my lisence yet so acouple of my friends with pickups work for me. I am getting my lisence in the spring. I am planning on bying a chevy 3500 pickup in acouple of months. I also have worked for another landscaper for 3 years, thats how i learned everthing. I still work for him when i am slow or can let my workers wotk by themselves.

Some of my major equip:
    1-6.5x12 tandem trailer
    1-52" scag hydro w/ velke
    1-48" bobcat
    2-36" exmarks w/velke
    2-echo trimmers
    1-redmax backpack
    1-stihl backpack
    1-8 hp giant vac push
    1-5 hp push
    1-mclain push edger
    2-21" trim mowers
    1-echo hedge trimmer
    1-green machine hege trimnmer
    -tons of handtools, wheeel barrels, spreaders and elctric saws, drills, grinders, mechanic tools.

i'm also planning on bying another push blower for fall

BTW- happy birthday stslawn

[Edited by little green guy on 09-05-2000 at 11:45 PM]

7. rosco2350

rosco2350 LawnSite Member

Im 18 and I have been mowing for about five years. If you mow in a small or large subdivision do the best job you can and people will see that you do a great job of mowing. Get along with your customers as much as possible no matter what because they will usually tell other people how nice of a person you are and tell people how good of a job you do is when you will start rolling in the dough. Remember, the better job you do and pleasing the customer is a number one priority in suceeding in a business.

8. Turf Kutter

Turf Kutter LawnSite Member

I`m 13 trying to get prepared for next summer 2001 to start a part time lawn business.I am not too sure how to start but I would like to be ready before than after.What 21inch walkbehind should I get to start off?I have the other equip but I think I should start with a 21inch remember down here in Florida gates are small especially in my area.Would a 6.5 snapper or toro.I am lucky because I have a whole bunch of dealers around here very close dealers 3 of them in a miles range of my house but how should I start?I think I will try using flyers but I don`t want too much customers planning on 10-15 to start off no big rush for me to get a thousand lawns just a few does this sound good?????Thanks for your time guys.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'm in this crowd too. I just turned 14 and am planing for next year. I got started this year, the year before just mowed one lawn by request from a friend. All I can say is whoever is working when they're young is a good thing. I hear alot of people saying that our generation is lazy and that is the last thing I want someone to tell me.;) Turf Kutter-I'm in the market for a 21" or a larger walk-behind. For a 21", I would choose Toro. Ain't nothin' better. If I get another Toro, I'm getting the commercial model. I think I'd get the 6.5 GTS 3 speed with a BBC. Good luck with the purchase. Keep cuttin' guys.:)

10. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

19 Been in the business since I was about 12. Have over 100 full time accounts. Multiple commerical walk behinds and a zero turn. I also provide mulching services. Most important thing for new companies is to always keep the customer happy! Good luck to all.