1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who is at fault?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TooTallLawncare, Sep 16, 2004.

1. TooTallLawncare

TooTallLawncare LawnSite Member
    from IL

I showed up to one of my customers house's the other day and they are putting a new roof on. I say fine, no big deal and just mow what I can. I figure by next week they will have everything picked up and will have run a magnet over the lawn to pick up all the nails that are left. When I show up the following week, everything thing is cleaned up and back to normal. When I was finished and putting the Exmark back on the trailer, I noticed one of the tires going flat. I go look at it, and sure enough there is a roofing nail stuck in it. My question here is who is at fault? I mean it only cost me about $10 to have it repaired, but $10 is $10. Should I ask the customer to pay for it, or just forget about it and suck it up?

2. satch

satch LawnSite Member

TOOTALL, i would just consider this a cost of doing buisness.You said your self everything was back to normal.best of luck with your buisness!!
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Come on are you serious???? :dizzy: :dizzy: If I were you're customer I'd tell you to stick the nail..........
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Who do you blame for getting a nail into your truck or trailer tire? price of business,write it off and worry about more inportant things..
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Eat the cost. If you went to the customer and asked I am sure they would say you cannot prove it came from my yard. I have car shop here where I take my vehicles for service and they plug my tires for free.Of course it helps that i have known the owner pretty much all of my life. Just my .02.
  6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Normally I would write it off.
    However what happens if next week or two it happens again,another roofing nail?

Time is money now you have to stop and get it repaired again

Tough call , I think I would mention it but cover the cost.

If it happened again I would advise the homeowner to call the roofer back
    to finish picking up the nails.

Good Luck
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

With all the mess after the 2 hurricanes we just had, I have had about 6 flats in about a month . It upsets me but what can you do but fix them and move on. I might as well get used to it because it's probally going to be a LONG time before we are back to "normal" down here.
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

While your not at faught, this is an expense that your going to have to accept. If I were the customer and you tried to make me pay for a flat tire, I would LMAO and tell you to get lost.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

First were you serious about the magnet? And dont plan on thr roofer coming back, unless their check bounces..
  10. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to mention it to the homeowner just to make them aware when walking barefoot.
    But come on, I really don't think ur serious about charging anyone for it. Just take your tire plug kit outta your tool box, pull the nail and plug the tire. Grab your portable air tank and fill it back up. 3 minutes top! Less time than you spent to start this thread.