Who is being driven out of business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious to see who in here feels that their company is either under attack or in serious jeopordy from lowballers. I never personally cared untill this week!! I lost 2 residentials on monday to a lowballer (neighbors) that was 6,400 per year less. Then thismorning I got a call from a commercial job and they said do not continue the contract (it ends at the end of this month) That was 5,200 a year less. 10,600 dollars a year less in one week shot to a low baller. Although the residentials told me it was a great deal less and wouldnt sumbit to a price the commercial guy is doing my contract for more a month but including mulchings in which I was doing seperate and for more money than him.

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. All I can say is hopefully they will come back to you after they see the crappy job.

3. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

LOballers come and go quality never ends. It's just the ups and downs of the business. There are new lowballers everyday in the market but they never last and those ppl who went with them will be out looking somewhere else again. Not saying take them back.

I'm getting back into the business full time again this year after keeping a light work load the last few years while I had different business ventures on the go. I most likely will be subbing for another company this year Full week schedule for a crew. Their business keeps going up because they go with quality over price. They've been at it 12 years and I've watched them grow (former neighbours).

Just weather the storm and look for new business each time.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have not had that yet but in the race park up here, Metrolina has lost a lot to the solo guy and I am sure that it was price. The job looked like crap in just a few week after the switch. I would think that the sponcers of the teams would not like it but I guess i am wrong as they are back again this year.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We're the opposite. I don't know how we are gonna get it all done this year...and I just bought 2 more mowers.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

doing pretty good. My biggest thing is the weather having to deal with that. This year will go down on record as my latest year that I have ever started because of the snow.

I usually always start the second week of March, but doesn't look like until the 4th or 11th for spring clean ups. Heck, I usually start mowing the second week of April and instead I will be doing spring clean ups

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have been accused as being a low-baller - even though my machines make $100 per hr. at $25 per acre. Thru efficiency I can mow anything from a 5000K to 30 acre property, including cemetaries with a 9 1/2 foot deck, and get between the stones. Here is a sample of a Low-Ballers work.

Target Curbs-Fence-1.jpg

8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i was at the dealership on Monday ,and a bunch of us were talking about this ,one guy lost 5 account on one block because of underbidding ,he said it took him 5 yrs to build up to his prices he gets ,all gone over 1 weekend ,most of my lost is due to customers selling there homes.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear about that BG. I would be a little depressed if I lost that much in a weeks time. Hope you pick up something new and better paying. Good luck.

Brad.. $25 is not too bad for large acreage. Have you upped your price? I remember you telling us that you charged around $15 per acre and would be lucky to get more than that in your neck of the woods...

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Welcome to FL, as matter of fact, it is very common around here same situation what you described...each account has to be focused every time I go in there. decent price (can't get rich, do or die to say), quality work at all time, and have to keep it up every single cut besides throwing in weedcontrol, hedging, etc. This spring is so crazy that I see lanscaping trailers runninginto each other, why every spring we come out in doves?
    Yeap, lots of money to be made and of course, lost.