1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who is dealing with Huge Sandy Stumps?

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by scott martoccia, Feb 13, 2013.

1. scott martoccia

scott martoccia LawnSite Member

If so how are you dealing with giant uprooted tree stumps? Grinder can't get on top of it. Anyone tried grinding while using small excavator to assist ?

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Guys by me are just using big excavators and payloaders if they are uprooted
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

All my treework was "cut at the stump". I wont deal with em. There was so much work, if the client wanted the stump out, id pass on the work,.

4. shooterm

shooterm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Should be a municpal dumb site taking the stumps. They stockpile them and tubgrind them. Every clean up job I've been at had this in some form. You cant deal with them at a storm level with a stump grinder.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  5. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

I dig them out and remove most of the dirt and rocks from the stump , so it doesen't damage tub grinders . Depending on where I dump them they have been charging anywhere from 35$ to 100$ for a s/a dump truck load. One place was charging 100$ per stump. This is one I dug up and replanted.:laugh:
    phone pictures 340.jpg

phone pictures 340.jpg

6. scott martoccia

Nice! The ones I am having problems with are giant and uprooted. Too heavy to lift with Cat 304 mini excavator. I am thinking about trying a carbide chainsaw chain to hack into smaller pieces.

7. Dually00-00

Dually00-00 LawnSite Member

Do you have a thumb for your 304 cat ?

8. scott martoccia

Yes
    Posted via Mobile Device