1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who is right, who is wrong

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a guy i know (i didn't say i like him, i said i know him) has a small landscaping company. let's call him ajax landscaping. he hires an employee. he pays said employee $7 per hour to perform grasscutting, etc. this employee is actually a certified class a auto mechanic, in between jobs, and lookin for a job , he commited himself to the season, but said he would move on afterwards. ok, one day one of the trucks has a mechanical breakdown. the owner of ajax landscaping asks employee to come with him to get an estimate on the repair. the auto repair place quotes the repair at $800. the employee tells the owner of ajax, that if he were supplied the part, he would do the repair "alot cheaper." ok, so, the employee does the repair. the owner of ajax bought the parts for less than a couple hundred bucks. the employee did the repair, and when he was done said, "i'll tell ya what, just give me $200, that will be fine." the owner of ajax refused, saying that the employee's rate of pay was $7 an hour, and that's what he would get for the repair. of course there was an argument, and the owner wouldn't budge. the employee quit. the owner maintained his position that the employee was employed by ajax landscaping, therefor must do ANYTHING that was asked of him, for his hourly rate of pay. who was right? who was wrong?

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

did the guy tell his boss he would do it on the side?

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

owner of ajax was wrong!
  4. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know who is right, however unless they agreed on something before the work took place, I think that the mechainic should've thought ahead. Should the Owner be gracious, probably. However that is why you talk first, do second.
  5. Sir Mow-A-Lot

Sir Mow-A-Lot LawnSite Member

:angry: just shows ya if you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the exact words were ," i can do it for you alot cheaper." and i know, because i argued on behalf of the employee. the owner and employee both agree, that those were the exact words. the employee didn't mention what "alot cheaper" was, and the owner didn't ask.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sure he can do it alot cheaper. the #7.00/hr IS alot cheaper....

if it was done during normal business hours when the employee would normally be working, at ajax's shop with ajax's tools, then the guy was an hourly employee.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

The empoyee/mechnic was wrong for not giving him a price to do the work. The biz owner is just a sneaky rat bastard....
  9. Lightningj33

Lightningj33 LawnSite Member

I feel that you should be compensated for what you know or how well you perform respective trade. Maybe he didn't know much about lawn care so 7/hr was appropriate. On the other hand wrenching is his trade and he should have been properly compensated for the work performed.
    BTW, new member and only my second post. Thanks for all of the advice that I have already gained from LS.
  10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

AJAX was wrong!!! He was paying the employee $7.oo per hour for lawn care.Mechacic work had nothing to do with his normal work day.I'd atold him to stick it up his (DONKEY) and been on my merry way!!.... :p :p :p