Who is starting a lawn business because of getting laid off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan33, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GreenMan33

GreenMan33 LawnSite Member

I was just wondering how many people are starting a lawn business because they got laid off due to the economy. Also, where are you starting your business (city and state).

2. lalllc

lalllc LawnSite Member

If they are smart they wont say. lol. I know so many of my buddys who are pissed that they lost work to guys who are cutting for scraps. I dont like scrubs. I do it because I love It not cuz I lost it.

3. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

They buy low grade equip cut 14 of their closest relatives and their friends lawns for 25-30$ cant handle fall cleanups and sell off within the first 6 months tryibg to get more than 80% of what they pd for the equipment on lawnsite or craigs list . Dont hurt our industry because u couldnt make it in a career that you choose (not gearing this toward greenman_ just in general)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. I started this business as a venture. I'm 22 years old an want to see what I can do over the course of 10-20 years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I am 31 and I fully intend to be on the mower until I am at least 70..... I started my business as a venture as well and while I fully intend to make a great career out of it, I chose to do landscaping/lawncare because I absolutely LOVE it! Even if it only paid $12.00/hour, I would still do it, why? Because I am my own Boss and Love it!

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing lawn care since 2004. I started it because I like the work,I was doing it as a side job because I had a good union job paying very well.I worked for a Major grocery warehouse supply local super markets.I worked nights & mowed days.My night job picked up a major client & we were working 80 hours a week. I went & got a p/t helper for the lawn care. As my job slowed down to 50 hours a week went back to doing lawns .In 2009 my union job lost their major contract & closed. I was out of my so called career job. I went back to doing lawns full time.I have had a few temp jobs since then , but keep coming back to the lawns.It must be a sign.Its fun work but you won't be a millionaire.

7. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Plenty of millionaires in lawn care
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

True , but most of us on here is what I'm referring to. Most of us do it for the enjoyment not to become rich...

9. anointed and appointed

anointed and appointed LawnSite Member
    from ocala

i am im new to this site and the business im looking for anything that can help me get going Im in ocala
    ,fl

10. GreenMan33

GreenMan33 LawnSite Member

I have been in business for a couple of years now started out as part-time on the side now building the business one at a time. I have noticed a lot of new LCO's because of the economy. I went to the local mower shop and he said there are people left and right coming to buy all new equipment. I wonder how many people will stick with it as well

Greenman33