Lawn Care Forum banner

Who is starting a lawn business because of getting laid off?

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  lalllc 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how many people are starting a lawn business because they got laid off due to the economy. Also, where are you starting your business (city and state).

#2 ·
If they are smart they wont say. lol. I know so many of my buddys who are pissed that they lost work to guys who are cutting for scraps. I dont like scrubs. I do it because I love It not cuz I lost it.

#3 ·
They buy low grade equip cut 14 of their closest relatives and their friends lawns for 25-30$ cant handle fall cleanups and sell off within the first 6 months tryibg to get more than 80% of what they pd for the equipment on lawnsite or craigs list . Dont hurt our industry because u couldnt make it in a career that you choose (not gearing this toward greenman_ just in general)
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I am 31 and I fully intend to be on the mower until I am at least 70..... I started my business as a venture as well and while I fully intend to make a great career out of it, I chose to do landscaping/lawncare because I absolutely LOVE it! Even if it only paid $12.00/hour, I would still do it, why? Because I am my own Boss and Love it!

#6 ·
I have been doing lawn care since 2004. I started it because I like the work,I was doing it as a side job because I had a good union job paying very well.I worked for a Major grocery warehouse supply local super markets.I worked nights & mowed days.My night job picked up a major client & we were working 80 hours a week. I went & got a p/t helper for the lawn care. As my job slowed down to 50 hours a week went back to doing lawns .In 2009 my union job lost their major contract & closed. I was out of my so called career job. I went back to doing lawns full time.I have had a few temp jobs since then , but keep coming back to the lawns.It must be a sign.Its fun work but you won't be a millionaire.

#7 ·
I have been doing lawn care since 2004. I started it because I like the work,I was doing it as a side job because I had a good union job paying very well.I worked for a Major grocery warehouse supply local super markets.I worked nights & mowed days.My night job picked up a major client & we were working 80 hours a week. I went & got a p/t helper for the lawn care. As my job slowed down to 50 hours a week went back to doing lawns .In 2009 my union job lost their major contract & closed. I was out of my so called career job. I went back to doing lawns full time.I have had a few temp jobs since then , but keep coming back to the lawns.It must be a sign.Its fun work but you won't be a millionaire.
Plenty of millionaires in lawn care
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
I have been in business for a couple of years now started out as part-time on the side now building the business one at a time. I have noticed a lot of new LCO's because of the economy. I went to the local mower shop and he said there are people left and right coming to buy all new equipment. I wonder how many people will stick with it as well

Greenman33

#11 ·
The first year is the hardest. They drop like flys when the snow comes. You have to save the winters bills or pay up front. Most new guys don't think like that. Then if a drought hits they move back in with family . I love that people have the drive to try and make it. That's the American dream. My problem is the guys who bid too low. That's when it hurts all of us. Cuz it's us guys who have to explain why it cost more to do it rite .
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·
I'm young (22yrs old) and married with three year old twins. I've always watched my neighbors lawn care guys growing up and talked to them about lawn care ever since I was little. I've always loved mowers and cutting grass but I never thought I would be doing it for a living. I honestly didn't think there was a demand for lawn care.

I did lawn care with a friend during high school and worked a few regular jobs but would prefer to be cutting grass and started doing it full time because I love it. I love being outside and being my own boss and of course love cutting grass.

In my area there's tons of lawn care business's popping up and to be quite honest its getting hard to compete. Everywhere I go I see an SUV, small pick up, even cars with lawn care equipment with advertisement. Its hard to compete because supply is almost as much as demand and it sucks for the guys like me who actually love it.

#18 ·
There are a few ways this seems to happen.

One you saw the layoff coming and began planning for this in the months or even years prior to losing the job.

Two you got laid off and went into planning mode and made your move while you still had plenty of unemployment left. In other words you picked your start time you didn't let poverty pick it for you.

Three you looking for other jobs and failed to find any your unemployment is gone and you say hey this looks easy ill give it a shot. This has the disadvantage of poor planning and the expected out come of one major mistake after another. But it does have one bright spot you got nothing to lose you have burned all the bridges behind you now failure will mean your life and thats a powerful motivator to most sane people.

I do like that this thread is coming out in February and not July and August. At the very least you got your timing right.

#19 ·
I don't have a problem with someone doing this to make a living , in some economy's its tough to get another job and I commend people for trying to work , after all if the new guy is priced to low thats there problem , the work is the same so if they do not price the accounts properly they will eather learn or fail. Yea it sucks to hear from a customer we found someone cheaper , but honestly every time that has happened to me the next year they are looking for some one else or calling back mid season cause they guy can't take the heat , got hurt , etc and after this usually makes a customer more loyal. There is a place and need for each sized business in the whole spectrum. The people that use the LOW BALLERS as they are called are not the type of customers a larger company wants anyhow. Plus I think the low baller , ureliable types make every one else look good. just my opinion. I say go for it , but the one thing that bothers me is the people doing things without the correct licenses , what is fair is fair and all should be held accountable , if you are new to the industry and all you have is a business license do not offer fertilizer apps etc , everyone should pay there dues in this area , and this is the part that I think needs improvement. I don't care if a guys wants to start a lawn care business but you need to do things the right way , and this is more on our code enforcement etc than on anyone. After all they get enough o our money in taxes etc. anyhow they should be able to make shure people are legit when doing business. I am not saying if you catch someone who doesent have the correct license they should be shot , just make shure they are required to get the correct license. That way the playing field is level , My issue is with city and state. Just my opinion though. What I am trying to say out of all this rambling is start your business but do it right , pay your dues , then everything else will play out.

#20 ·
I'm young (22yrs old) and married with three year old twins. I've always watched my neighbors lawn care guys growing up and talked to them about lawn care ever since I was little. I've always loved mowers and cutting grass but I never thought I would be doing it for a living. I honestly didn't think there was a demand for lawn care.

I did lawn care with a friend during high school and worked a few regular jobs but would prefer to be cutting grass and started doing it full time because I love it. I love being outside and being my own boss and of course love cutting grass.

In my area there's tons of lawn care business's popping up and to be quite honest its getting hard to compete. Everywhere I go I see an SUV, small pick up, even cars with lawn care equipment with advertisement. Its hard to compete because supply is almost as much as demand and it sucks for the guys like me who actually love it.
Yes this sucks but I think your disgust is mis placed if the city and state would enforce business requirements half of these so called businesses would not be around the problem is that people that do it right have tons of extra expense and the new guys many times know they can get away with doing it the wrong way. Just my opinion though if this is happening in your area call your city and your state demand acountability and they will laugh at you but this is all you can do.

#22 ·
I agree with what you say Thorton! Unfortunately the cheapskates don't seem to care who cuts their grass. Licensed, insured or not. That's part of the problem too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I agree , these people are the fuel for the fire , they are the ones that create that ability for these people , but I do not believe these people are the types of customers a business would want I mean after all there will always be someone that will do it cheaper. Look at auto mechanics , there are tons of them , but the good ones charge alot and still have plenty of business , you can never replace quality in my opinion. example just last week got a call from customer , had a subcontractor guy working with me last year , he was trying to do his own thing but can not seem to make his business work. he has poor quality and is not reliable, I told him mid last year he was done , he was snooping in my customer info , customer told me he stopped by last week I charge $120 cut its a decent lawn , he stops by with some other guy he is working with now and gives her this big speal and says he will do it for $100 , lol she said no , why??? because she knows that what people say and do is two different things. I am shure he is doing this to some of my other accounts so what , anyone that takes him will be calling me back mid year and I will raise there price to take them back. People who want quality will pay a resonable price , let the vulchers have the road kill.

#23 ·
Yes I agree , these people are the fuel for the fire , they are the ones that create that ability for these people , but I do not believe these people are the types of customers a business would want I mean after all there will always be someone that will do it cheaper. Look at auto mechanics , there are tons of them , but the good ones charge alot and still have plenty of business , you can never replace quality in my opinion. example just last week got a call from customer , had a subcontractor guy working with me last year , he was trying to do his own thing but can not seem to make his business work. he has poor quality and is not reliable, I told him mid last year he was done , he was snooping in my customer info , customer told me he stopped by last week I charge $120 cut its a decent lawn , he stops by with some other guy he is working with now and gives her this big speal and says he will do it for $100 , lol she said no , why??? because she knows that what people say and do is two different things. I am shure he is doing this to some of my other accounts so what , anyone that takes him will be calling me back mid year and I will raise there price to take them back. People who want quality will pay a resonable price , let the vulchers have the road kill.
That's pretty low for a sub to do that. I would never go and solicit myself to someone who I already know has someone to take care of their property. That just seems to lack some sort of ethic to me! If someone calls me to inquire about service then thats a different story. That was good that your customer said no to him. How did he get a hold of your customers? Just going door to door? In either case that's just wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
That's pretty low for a sub to do that. I would never go and solicit myself to someone who I already know has someone to take care of their property. That just seems to lack some sort of ethic to me! If someone calls me to inquire about service then thats a different story. That was good that your customer said no to him. How did he get a hold of your customers? Just going door to door? In either case that's just wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea he stopped by her house with some other guy thats supose to be his business partner lol

#25 ·
It is sad when you need to ask your laborers to sign a no compete . Now that's a scrub.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.