who is using dust mask

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by guven, Jun 2, 2006.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I was wondering , Are you guys using dust mask? because when I was using my blower most of time soil dust,mulch dust ,leaf dust every where.I think I am getting alot of dust in my lungs.Do you think lawn care operator can live shorter then the office guys?Bye the way how about gloves.Are you using gloves every time?
    thanks

2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I use a 3M N95 mask in the heavily dense pollen areas. I don't need it when I use the blower. I have asthma and have been hospitalized (I believe) due to the pollen I take in. Gloves...no. Unless I am spraying.

3. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Does it not get hot? I have bad allergies and after a few yards, I'm a mess so I was thinking of using a mask but I figured it would be really hot on my face..

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Don't use a mask but if I stir a dust cloud, I'll hold my breath until I ride thru it.

Gloves I wear. Cuts down on some vibration and gives a better grip than sweaty hands, especially with the trimmer.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Not only that but could imagine what kind of tan lines that would leave on your face.:laugh:

I have used one in the fall mulching leaves but not for just mowing.

6. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Even if you don't see the dust you're still inhailing it and I believe it will build up in your lungs. If I don't use a mask at the end of the day I will blow mud and sometimes blood out of my nose. Using a mask has also helped decrease my allergies. Before I used a mask my allergies were getting worse each season but once I started with a mask they have been getting better each year. I wear a dusk mask with an exhaust valve most of the year, not during wet winters, even in + 100* weather. As for gloves they come on as soon as I step off the truck.

7. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I've thought about wearing a mask during heavy leaf season, but have never followed through with it. Gloves, never. I feel awkward as it is having lighter fingers than hands.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man it used to never bother me but today I am afraid of breathing dust, I inhaled larger quantities of it earlier this year and got sick as a dog! I had a fever, runny nose and a bad cough for like 2 weeks I felt rough (thou the first 2-3 days were the worst).

Come to find out, dust can kill you. Yes, literally, dead... Way I remember feeling, I don't doubt it anymore.

Mask? No way, if I even think I'm going to be around that stuff, I'm wearing either a respirator or a gas mask, funny as it may sound, after the way I got earlier this year, I don't take no chances with the dust anymore. If it's just a cloud here and there, I hold my breath.
    Yeah, it does have to be a LOT of dust, if it's just some clouds, I can maneuver with it so I don't breathe it in, in between breaths.

National Geographic recently had an article about a farmer, now wears a thousand-dollar battery-powered full-cover respirator after some dust from barley made him sick, that stuff is rough I tell you.

Here's the thread I left about that (it got made fun of, but I am dead serious):
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=142668

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Holding your breath thru dust could actually do more harm than good. See, mold spores are sometimes present during heavy leaf season and that could lead to serious trouble. I dont mind the mask nor the tan line. I honestly dont wear it 24/7, only when I am around heavily dense wooded areas or areas with lots of pollen etc. Maybe 2 hours of the day. I love the 3M N95 mask cuz it blocks 98% of anything airborne (not vapours though). This mask is used if SARS breaks out or some other airborne diseases so for me, I trust it.

10. I need to get some dust masks with the exhaust valve like Triple R mentioned.
    I have this one property that takes a lot of backpack blowing. By the time I'm thru with it it's like I've been hit with tear gas! Coughing, choking, nose runs and eyes crying. They live in a woods so I figure it's molds & pollens. Just this one property though.
    I have a rubber mask I wear when grinding blades, but there's no way I could wear that out on the job. It's just too hot plus it's black rubber. I'd cook!

Dave