Who just runs hydro walk behinds as their main mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Turf Tracer 48 and 36 Viking as my main mowers. Both with sulkys. .
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. rdwittmann

rdwittmann LawnSite Member

I used to run walk behinds exclusively. Now I run ZTR's. I had a very bad experience with a sulky about 25 years ago and will not go near one. But, that is just my personal experience with the sulky. I see a ton of guys running them.

3. Holland

Wow. Care to mention what happen to you on a sulky?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rdwittmann

rdwittmann LawnSite Member

It was my fault. I slipped off the thing on a hill and got my foot caught up. Tore up my ankle and tore my aqullies (spelling). It was just one of those things. With what we do, we always have to pay attention. getting injured is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when and how bad. That one taught me a good lesson. Knock on wood, I have not had a serious injury related to the job since then. Just have to pay attention to what we are doing at all times.

5. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I run walk behinds almost exclusively. I have been for 30+ years. I run predominately 60" Turf Tracers, but also have 52" TTHPs and a 36". I run my Lazer Z on wide open lots and other junk mowing. I think for what I do (e.g. curb jumping, medium size residentials, choppy commercials) that walk behinds can't be beat. You can run a walk behind on ANYTHING, and with a stander or rider, that can't be said. Also, with a 60" Turf Tracer, you aren't losing all that much on productivity on big stuff if that's what you have to use.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

60" and 48" Turf Tracers here. Also, own a 60" Vantage. At the end of the week the wb is as fast or faster.

7. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both WB and ZTR's, my biggest complaint with WB is they can be dangerous with a velkie and I have several types of velkies. You have to make sure the safety stuff is right.

It all depends on what you are cutting but a combo of a 36 and 52 WB with a 72 inch ZTR has the potential depending on properties of being the most cost affective setup!

A 72 inch ZTR a good one is by far the best money maker mower I have ever used. A 72 Super Z HD will leave a couple guy's just sitting there with WB velkie combos on a large property. Just look at what Puppy cuts with his and how fast he gets it done.

ZTR's are pigs however and a WB cuts much nicer overall and I love them for versatility as well.

8. Holland

I love the walk behind for the small footprint,lighter trailer, also just the quickness of cutting a residential lot if 1acre or less. Also I see too many lco starting out owing payments on new payment plan ztr mowers. You can get a used small fleet of hydro wb for 1/3 the price of ztr and even walkers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

There good till you start doing large properties then a big z makes alot more cash, I had this one job that would take 8 hours plus to mow with a 52 WB and it was modded and mowed at 8 to 9 MPH and the 72 ZTR cut it in a little over 3 hours. NO COMPARO on big jobs, on small jobs I can live with WB with no problem but $ for $ my 72 can make way more money than a WB on big cut jobs.

10. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have all three. Each has their own uses. I use the ztr the most. 75% ztr, 22% stander, and 3% walk-behind. My stander sticks amazing.