Who just runs hydro walk behinds as their main mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Your saying your Great Dane Surfer sticks amazing? I had a GDS 52 and it was no match for my 72 ZTR. The Outlaw is tall. I have a 61 Great Dane surfer deck that is new if you might ever need one.

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

We use walkbehinds about 75% of the time, Turf tracers and Scag walkbehinds. Years back when bagging was a must we ran 36" Scags with bags. Now mulching has been accepted we run 48" mowers with mulch kits.

3. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah in big properties I realize ztr is the way to go. What's the weight difference in say a 48 hydro wb and a 48 ztr?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of fuel economy does the turf tracer get?

5. smitty's lawncare

smitty's lawncare LawnSite Member

i run a scag 52" hydro with velky and scag 36" belt....wb mowers are best for me because i mow mostly higher-end medium sized residental yards. they leave a beautiful stripe, truly manicuring a lawn. however, next year i am looking to step into the commercial market, so i will probably purchase a ztr of some kind...i've got no clue what kind yet.

6. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys use your walk behinds for leaf cleanups?

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

17 hp kawi uses approx 1 gal per hour. 23 hp kawi is about 1.2-1.2 gph.

8. Realslowww

In smaller ZTR's I like light weight units. I love WB and standers of the lighter variety on nice properties. Where I am a big ZTR messes the properties up.

At least 300 pounds or so for a heavy 48 ZTR. I love 72 ZTR's and the smaller ones I can live with them or without them and just use WB for normal properties.

9. Realslowww

I love a 72 ZTR for leaf mulching, by far the fastest cleanup mower I have ever used. when you start running the stuff over multiple times a 72 makes it alot faster and the big blades seem to pulverize it quicker than a smaller deck.

10. BestImpressions99

BestImpressions99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have to admit when I traded the rider we had for the TTHP 48 my productivity went up. I think it might have been more a design flaw with the carburation system with the Toro ZTR as well as even with a suspension seat my back and neck absorbed more of the blows than my legs did. Glad I did.