1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who keeps their skid steers on their trailers when stored?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SouthernYankee, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

My storage space is going to be tight with all of my equipment and trucks and I was wondering if there is any down side to keeping their bobcats on their trailers when they are not in use.

Are there is any real downsides to keeping a bobcat on the trailer when its stored? Is it hard to get the loaded trailer off the truck? thanks

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

makes it eaiser to steel

3. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I've done it but for me the deciding factor would be how long it would be sitting on there. Also what size trailer it's sitting on. We mounted 2 jack stands on the back of our trailers one on each side so we could disconnect from them with them loaded with trees etc. They prevent the trailer from jumping off your hitch when you disconnect it loaded.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Anybody ever driven on or off their trailer when unknowingly, it wasn't hooked up?

I know I never have...:eek:

5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

No, Mark but I once hooked up to a trailer put an ex on it and drove about 25 miles. When I got to the job I tried unloading the ex and the trailer jumped right off the ball when I tried coming off it. I somehow in a hurry didn't realize I had a 2" ball on the truck instead of a 2 5/16" is it? and drove away. I couldn't believe it stayed on the hitch all the way across town

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had my 20' enclosed trailer pop off a 2'' ball going down the road at 45mph... to top it off the safety chains broke in half. Almost killed someone. My bigger trailers take 2 5/16'' balls and the guys had put on a 2'' ball earlier for a smaller trailer.

7. allaccesslandscaping

allaccesslandscaping LawnSite Member

Iheard its not good for the axle over time

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

we only use pintle hitch's because of this....

9. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Loaded my 257 on the trailer only to feel the rear end of the trailer sink to the ground. Knew what had happened right away. Looked at the pick up tail gate, and knew that I had just made an expensive mistake. Didn't lock the pintle clasp down. The pintle eye got driven right intothe tailgate. Live and learn.

10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

be there done that....we must have pulled the trailer plug off twice last season (not un hooking it):p