Who kills fieldgrasses in cool season turf?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jul 29, 2008.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I live in a rural area. There are myriad different field grasses that inevitably make their way into most every yard. I assume this is not isolated to my neck of the woods.

My question: do you guys take care of it? Obviously simple foxtail and crabgrass are handled. DRIVE does the trick. But do you guys take the time to actually sponge-glyphosate on the grass with those hand tools out there? Do you have chemicals that actually work? I don't think MSMA works on cool season, and products like Corsaire are spotty at best (and pricey)...

I'm just wondering if I could actually market this as an expensive add-on for the picky...

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

might check out ornamec... labeled for johnsongrass at least :)

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

I checked this product out, but it's not meant for application in turf. It's more like Fusilade (actually JUST like it) - where it's designed to control grasses that have grown into landscaping/orchards/gardens...

4. Rayholio

Actually, it is labeled for control of johnsongrass in turf.. and bermuda.. we have been using it like crazy lately.. it's great..

the other option is to get some PVC, and rope.. Make a wicking stick, shaped like a hockey stick.. cover about a foot to a foot and a half per swipe..

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

I could only find where it said it could control bermuda grass in zoysia/tall fescue...

Have you used this product in kentucky bluegrass without damaging the desirable turf? Also, the label calls for upwards of 3 applications. Is this what you're doing?

6. Rayholio

We've actually had success in one.. we normally do two just to make sure though..

I applied to bluegrass yesterday.. We'll know in about 2 weeks :)

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Please keep us posted... good thread :)

8. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

Theres a cool new product out by Syngenta called Tenacity. See if the label lists the grasses you are trying to get rid of. It does an awesome job of getting rid of bentgrass. Only downfall, it usually requires 2-3 applicaitons a few weeks apart to get great results.

9. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Only problem is, it's only labeled for golf & sod farms so far:cry::cry::cry:

10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT