Who knows about commercial bidding????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wherebluegrassgrows, Feb 21, 2006.

1. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

Here's the deal. How often do you get a bid that requires a break down of everything there is to do. These guys want a specific price for trimming, mowing, edging (per foot), garbage and trash removal not to mention landscape maintenance.
    All I have bid in the past asked for a weekly price, how many weeks in a season, and just a total cost per year. When i bid a property trimming is figured in to the cut by excess or lack there of not a set price. I try to figure how much time it will take. A'm I doing this wrong? In all there are seven properties of which vary greatly in size and accessibility.
    I'm also curious what do you guys usually get per acre on commercial? Last year I only landed a few and it seemed like they were just desperate? F.Y.I. season had already started and they just wanted to know when I could start.

2. wherebluegrassgrows

Anyone?????:sleeping:

3. wherebluegrassgrows

What? Has my thread been black listed or what?

4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pain to me. I wouldnt even know where to start on how much of the price is trimming, edging, blowing, etc.

Im working on a commercial bid right now. The price for weekly mowing is $350.00, the only thing I put after that is weekly mowing consists of mowing, trimming, edging, blowing off hard surfaces and flower beds.

If the guy is that anal that he needs to know all that stuff imagine how he will be when you start working for him!

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

They sound like a PITA!!!!!!!!!!! Move on and find a nother one because they will always be looking for a short cut.

6. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not really as hard as you make it sound. Just make up a spread sheet and list the items they want priced out. This will take some time at first. You should be able to tell just by walking a site how long it will take to edge walks, curbs, trim bushes, pick weeds(bed maintenance) mow, fall cleanup, spring cleanup etc.(for your equipment, employees).
    Go for it, if your not sure about something price it high. I have been doing commercial bids and work for 15+ years and still find new estimates a challenge. Good luck....and never walk away without trying. You might just get the money you want.

7. PGA

The problem I have with this is what if the guy trys to cut the price by asking him to remove trimming or something else? Then he can go right to his sheet and I want X amount removed because I dont want you to do a certain part of the job.

8. wherebluegrassgrows

I don't think they will be a PITA. This company is new to our area and I believe they bought these properties recently and have no idea what to pay.
    The whole story goes I picked up their bid packet and contract. I read through it and decided to decline. I however have been busy and forgot to call and let them know I wasn't able to meet all their requirements. The guy calls and leaves a voice mail wants me to call him. I got in late and decided to call him today. Well first thing this morning he calls again. I let him know we couldn't meet all the requirements on their bid sheet. He quickly responds "thats ok just fill out what you are able to do and we can go from there". So I start thinking what if no ones turned in a bid? I've had bids before I didn't want to do and no one called. Not to mention we are seven days past the due date?

9. PGA

If he's that desperate then overbid the hell out of it. Either you dont get it or you get it and making a boatload more then you thought you would.

10. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had clients take out some items in a contract, but not many. Sometimes they will take out a fert application for example. Really doesn't bother me. To me commercial properties are way more advantageous than residential and I do both. More money and less time.